Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Fixing a Treadmill

My treadmill has gone SQUEAK - SQUEAK - SQUEAK for way too long.  I called the manufacturer and we went back and forth.  Apparently both the deck and the belt were due for replacement.  I finally ordered them and had time to replace them (with ADP's help).

The parts arrived and sat in my exercise room for a week before I did anything:
6# little box and 42# large box
I did not know how long it would take to replace both the belt and the deck, so I picked a day with little going on.  The directions were pretty clear, thank goodness!  First up, take all the extra protective covers off...
bare bones
Then remove the rollers:
the back belt roller
Then remove the deck and belt (they come off together).  The TM looked really funny without the extras on it.  And it wanted to be closed up.  Apparently it is the weight of the deck that holds it down.
from the back

the front
Then the hard part started...putting it all back together with the new parts.  It wasn't hard to assemble, but the back tension screws would not go where they were supposed to.  When we measured the deck, the new was slightly smaller than the old which was the problem.  With some teamwork we got it fixed and looking like new.

I ran on it and OH MY, is it ever quiet.  I will not miss the squeaking!

2 comments:

Alma said...

Very nice! Did you have to re-calibrate it? I need to do that on mine and haven't gotten around to it.

Shona Wood said...

Great work on fixing your squeak! I hope you enjoy your (more peaceful) runs :)