Monday, July 23, 2012

Cleared to Run!

Just a week after my car accident my doctor cleared me to run!  My car was totaled and I have a new-to-me car.  Last week was a whirlwind and it all ended up much better than I could have ever hoped considering how it started.

I was cleared to run just in time for my July race, Silks & Satins 5K which benefits the Special Olympics.  I didn't run during the week and my neck was still tight so I did not race the 5K.  I want to make it back to 100% before I try anything silly like that.

Early Saturday morning I headed to Saratoga Springs, where track season started the day before.  I got there early enough to watch some of the horses warming up:
I picked my bib up and then watched the horses some more.  My plan was to hit 10 min miles and to keep my heart rate down and my breathing even.  It was a good plan and I almost stuck to it.  I went more by my breathing and was doing fine at 9:45 to 9:50/mi so I stuck with it.

Right after the first water break I came across one of my favorite people to run into at Fleet Feet, Patty.  She is a sweetheart and this was her first race in a long time (due to injury).  When I mentored new runners through No Boundaries she was always there as the Fleet Feet rep.  I ran with her and she was doing great!  I was happy to be going slower so that I could talk when she needed some encouragement and to listen when she wanted to talk.  She pushed it at the end and was happy to have the race done.  It was fun to run with someone new!  When we finished I found out that she used to be a sub 25 min 5ker!  Wow!
done!
The race was just what I needed after the week I'd had.  I wasn't going for time and was happy with how I felt throughout the race.  My neck and back never hurt, and for that I was happiest.
Garmin (started watch at start line): 3.13 mi / 30:17 / 9:41 ave
Official (no starting mat): 5k / 30:38 / 9:52
Place: 612 of 847

horse crossing
When I left I had to wait for about 10 horses to cross the road. They were either headed to warm up or done and needed to be taken back to cool down and be tended to.  Horse racing is big in Saratoga and the horses definitely had the right of way!

the swag...an interesting mix!

3 comments:

jillconyers said...

So happy to hear you were cleared to run! And no pain!! Nice pace!

Darlene said...

Good job! Gald you are able to run! I usually run this race and I think I will again next year.

Suz and Allan said...

Nice job on the race Suzy!