Pages

Friday, June 15, 2012

Lake Placid Half RR

This is going to be a good/bad race report.  There is no other way to do it without it being a downer, IMHO.
on my way there.  left the house at 4:30 a.m.
fog headed into the mountains

The bad:  It was my longest half ever!  
The good:  I finished the race!


The bad:  I knew no one going into the race.
The good:  I did it on purpose so I couldn't call or complain to people during the race.  I wanted to do this one by myself for the knowledge that I can rely on myself to for 13.1 miles.

The bad:  There were hills!  Who knew that the Adirondack Mountains had "hills"?!?!  
The good:  I can finally walk down the stairs without holding my breath because of the pain in my quads.

LP ski jumps in the background

The bad:  It was hot (well, not hot-hot, but hot to me).
The good:  I'm really good at sweating.  And there were water stops almost every mile so I had plenty of hydration (that I readily accepted)!


they just announced my name coming into the finish line

The bad:  I sweated a LOT!
The really bad:  I stopped sweating somewhere between mile 9 and 9.5.  I noticed because I started shivering when I was in the shade and was fine in the sun.  STRANGE!  I don't shiver when I'm running and it is above 40F.  So considering it was just over 70F and I was shivering I decided self-preservation above all else.  I pretty much walked the end of the course.  I'm fine with this.  I'm here.  I finished.  I can write my story.  Now I just need to figure out WHY this happened.

smile?...right now?...crap, of course I have to smile  :)
The nitty-gritty:
2:26:16
155 of 240 in females 30-39
873 of 1255 overall
I did it!!!
one of the views
I thought I was going to cry or throw up by the time I made it to my car.
I did neither!


i'd never seen the olympic rings in person before

my bib and medal
the medals




8 comments:

misszippy said...

First congrats! You did it and it was tough for you. So kudos! Second, everyone has a day like that. They pretty much suck, but like you said, you'll figure out why it happened and the next will be better. And yes, there are loads of hills up there! Did my IM there and it was hard.

jillconyers said...

Congratulations Suzy! It was a tough day and you did it! The heat makes it so much harder. Sometimes I forget how much it affects our running until the summer begins. You'll figure out what to do different next time.

You should be so proud of your accomplishment!

[Fitness, Health and Happiness]

ajh said...

Congrats on finishing. I think I'd like to do this one sometime. The shivering thing is scary. Glad you are okay.

Jill said...

Well, any day you can finish a half marathon feeling like dog food is a good day in my book. Congrats on another finish (love the medals)...it takes a lot of guts to finish in those conditions when you don't feel it. Glad you're doing okay now ... walking down the stairs is a good thing :).

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

One of the best finishers pictures I have seen. This is always what I'm looking for - finish in picture, time in picture, just you in the photo and smiling. Nice job!

J said...

Awesome job! Lake placid is crazy hilly! So great you ran that race and finished and did well!

Darlene said...

I heard this was a hilly one. The next one will be easier.

Suz and Allan said...

Congrats Suzy! It sounds like this was a rough race and you really pushed through.