Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

I Changed My Mind

I had this great plan of not doing any longer races until next fall and I lasted all of 2 months.  I felt like I was spinning my wheels so I went and found myself a spring half marathon.  Not only did I find one, I'm registered and ready to go!

Well, not completely ready to go as my longest run in the past few months was yesterday at 8 miles.  Eight is a long way from 13.1, but I've got 14 weeks to get there!  I'll be running the Lake Placid Half Marathon in June.

According to their website, why pick this race?

The Lake Placid Marathon & Half was recently ranked by a Runner's World Magazine survey as the #2 "Best Destination" race in the United States!! (Runner's World Magazine, January 2010 Issue, page 71) The Lake Placid Marathon & Half Marathon is a high quality premier early season race held in the charming Olympic Village of Lake Placid, New York USA home of the 1932 & 1980 Winter Games.

Sounds good to me!  The downfall of this race is the hill "thing."
The most significant hills are near the ski jumps on Route 73 (once for the half marathon and twice for the full marathon) and leading up to the finish behind the Lake Placid High School (once for the half marathon and once for the full marathon). Each of these hills is approximately 3/10 of a mile long. Chuck Engles winning time of 2:34:39 from 2006 proves the course is reasonable and fair.
Um, time to find a hill to practice running on.

The most important thing:  I'm excited!!!  I will say it now:  I AM RUNNING THIS FOR FUN AND NOT FOR TIME.  I'll be happy with anything between 2:10 and 4 hrs.  (Yeah, that's quite a window but I dont' want to put any pressure on the fun I'm going to have.)

9 comments:

Darlene said...

Have fun.. It's good to have a race to train for.

Jen @ Run for Anna said...

Sounds great! I'm feeling that itch, myself. Training for something gives focus. And 8 miles isn't THAT far from 13.1. :)

You've got this.

Suz and Allan said...

Running for fun sounds like a great plan to me!

Bridget said...

That;s great!!! I heard that race is VERY hilly - but you can do it! YAY!

ajh said...

I have gone to this website several times and looked at this race. I had such fun over there with Emily when she did her IM that it made me want to do a race there.
You will love it.

kaydi327 said...

How fun! I think I looked at this race in the past but the timing didn't work out (and now it is too far, boo). I love Lake Placid, and what a great time of year to be there! Running for fun sounds like a good plan- that's how I'm approaching my next race (considering my pace is a wee bit slower than norm, I will just be happy to get it done :) )

-Katie @ Legally Fit

Black Knight said...

Yes, this is the right spirit. Have fun and enjoy the half!

J said...

Sounds like so much fun! I would love to run that race too!

Beth said...

Sounds like a great race! You have plenty of time to train and I'm sure you will do great. Glad you are excited!