Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Winter Marathon Relay, Year 3

Three years, three ladies and a lot of miles.  Last Sunday Amanda, Felice and I ran in the Winter Marathon Relay for the third year!  Just like 2011 and 2010 it was a lot of fun and worth every moment.  Unlike 2011, when it was 16F outside, it was warm (36F).  Unlike 2010 when we had 40 mph gusts stopping us in our tracks, there was only a light breeze to help cool me off.
Last year and this year there was a second relay team of runners that we know (well, Amanda and Felice run with the group from this year and I know them through an online running group).  We managed to get a group picture before the start of the race!
Notice the LACK OF SNOW in the pictures!  Grrrrrr.  I love running when it is dry and a little warmer (a.k.a. 40F), but we have had next to no snow this winter and it is a real bummer to me because I love snow.

I was able to snag the shortest leg of the race for the second year in a row.  Amanda took the first leg and Felice brought our team in strong.  Amanda (to the right) ran the 9.73 mile leg and then tagged me and I was off.  The first two miles were beautiful.  My breathing was great.  My body felt great.  The "hills" (the on-ramp to the circle) didn't even wind me.  It was glorious.  And then at the end of mile 3 I started feeling light headed.  I stopped at the water stop at the beginning of mile 4 and had a glass of water, recouped and tried to pick it up again.  It was hard going for miles 4 and 5.  I kept on moving though - I needed to finish so I could send Felice out.  I tried to pick it back up for the last half mile.
Amanda tagging me...off I go
I told Felice 54-55 minutes for my leg of the race (supposed to be 5.49 miles) and I finished 5.52 miles (according to my garmin) in 54:55 for an average of 9:37/mi.  I am happy with the first three miles (9:36, 9:36, 9:46), frustrated with the next two miles (10:31 and 10:37), and glad I could finish strong (.52 mi in 4:50 for an equiv of 9:22).  Despite being light headed and having a rough two miles, I'm happy with my time because I came in right when I told Felice I would be there.

DONE!
Felice had the longest leg of the race at 10.99 miles.  (Where did they come up with the distances 9.73, 5.49 and 10.99?)  She ran a good race and I am sure you'll find her race report interesting to read here.
Felice at the finish line
Our official time this year was 4:11:06!  We are all pleased with the time and cannot wait for round four.  Although, it has been said that I haven't run the long leg yet so next year I will probably be running last.

6 comments:

Teamarcia said...

Sounds like such a blast--would love to do one someday. I share your sadness on the lack of snow.

misszippy said...

Relays are so much fun, especially when you have a tradition going like that. Congrats!

Suz and Allan said...

Great job! Congratulations!

christa said...

THe one relay I did was like that is was 3-5 person relay and they have certain spots to switch and they were not even at all 3.1 miles to 8 something miles

Black Knight said...

Congrats to the fast team!
Beautiful pictures.
Please forgive me but I have to say that my in-law cat's name is .... Felice!

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

Great job, sounds like fun and what odd distances to split the relay into!