Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Running Limitations

I have enjoyed every run I've taken these past few days.  Since being cleared to run on Thursday I have hit the treadmill on Thursday and Friday and Saturday and again this morning!!  Woo Hoo!  I am so happy to be "back."

However there are limitations to my running and now that I've gotten in a few short runs, these limitations are hampering my miles.  I do not want to come off as whiney...but I haven't had a good, longer run in 22 days!  The limitations:

  • No getting sweat in eyes  What???  Where is the sweat supposed to go?  These days I am being very careful to wipe the sweat from my face.
  • No rubbing eyes  So while I'm wiping the sweat from my face I have to be extremely careful so nothing touches my eyes.  While I consider myself talented...I don't dare close my eyes to wipe my face while still running on the treadmill.  So, every time I want need to wipe my face I have to hop off the TM to do it.  
  • No going where there will be excessive tearing Upstate NY + winter  = cold weather.  Cold weather + running = lots of tears.  I'm on my treadmill for a while (thank goodness I love my TM!).
  • No hard workouts  That speed I was trying to get back isn't coming back anytime soon.  I think I can start adding in speed-work in another week or two as long as I follow the rest of the 'rules.'
  • Keep eyes lubricated  Treadmill minus fan = sweaty mess.  I cannot turn my fan on because it dries my eyes too much.  No fan means even more sweating.  More sweating, well, go back to the top of this list.
The list is longer than this, but these are the ones that have bugged me the most.  Regardless, I have about one month to get back to 6 mile runs so I can run my leg of the Winter Marathon Relay (same team as last year).

Today I ran 3 miles and then did a kettle-bell workout.  It's been a couple weeks since picking up my kettle-bells and I can already tell I'm going to be sore tomorrow.  

14 comments:

Christi said...

Yay for running! I am so happy for ya. I hear what you are saying about the sweat in your eyes. I sweat like a pig so that would be very hard for me.

Penny said...

Glad you are able to get some runs in. Happy Running Girl

Christy said...

I tie a bandanna around my head like a headband to keep sweat out of my eyes (I'm a huge sweat-er).

Have you tried running...with goggles? LOL At least you could turn on the fan! jk (well, kind of)

Tricia said...

love kettlebells!

ajh said...

Do you wear a headband? I am a terrible sweater and always wear a headband on the treadmill even though it looks stupid and very 80s it keeps sweat off me completely.

Thanks for the swimming encouragement. It's nice to know I am not the only challenged swimmer.

Alma said...

Those are crazy limitations - I always have sweat pouring down my face/in my eyes while on the treadmill. Have fun getting back into it & take care of those eyes!

Michael said...

You have plenty of time to get up to 6 miles! Don't stress. Sounds like you are already back at it with a vengeance!

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

my hubs just had dental surgery and I don't think he realized it would mean 0 workouts for a few weeks...he's not happy.

glad you can try to kinda sorta workout..shoot I sweat on mile one so i would be done pretty quick

Suz and Allan said...

Glad you are getting some running in! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Darlene said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Darlene said...

You will get it back!! You have all that extra time not putting in contacts or taking them out and looking for glasses, etc.

jillconyers said...

I know all too well how good it feels to be back running. It's awesome (even with limitations)! You can't help but smile :)

Black Knight said...

4 days in a row on the dreadmill!!! For me it would be a survival race!
I wish a fast recover but don't worry, as I told you, my wife, my son and my daughter in law, had the same experience and now they feel really good.

Jill said...

A little running is better than non and soon your eyes will be all healed and you can run all sweaty again :).