Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

Are You a Runner?

I made it to the doctor this morning and my self-diagnosis sinus infection was confirmed.  I have a nice little prescription and will be feeling more like myself soon.  While I am happy about being on my way to feeling better I was even happier about my conversation with the nurse.

If you have been to a doctor you know the drill:  wait...wait....wait, talk to the nurse, get vitals taken, wait some more, finally see someone who can diagnosis and prescribe meds (if needed).

There was plenty of waiting today because the office was closed yesterday.  Thankfully, I beat the rush and only had to wait a short while as compared to many others who came in after me.  Once in the exam room I was filling the nurse in on my medical woes.  Then she put a pulse-ox reader on my finger while taking my temp.  I have no idea what my temp was (probably normal).  I didn't think to ask because I was watching my pulse.  Then the nurse looked at it, looked at me and asked that beautiful question, "Are you a runner?"  "Yes.  Did my pulse give it away?"  She smiled and wrote down 52 BPM.

I really love that question!

9 comments:

Stephanie Anne said...

I was a patient for therapy school practicals. I was supposed to be a 74 year old man with high blood pressure & heart rate. The student took mine & said "I got 48... Are you a runner?" I had the same smile as you I'm sure.

Teamarcia said...

Ah yes, that's probably the best thing about going to the doc IMO. Hope you're feeling better!

Jen @ Run for Anna said...

Ha! That is such a beautiful question, isn't it? Hope you feel better quickly, and Happy New Year!

Bridget said...

Glad you a blogging again!
How funny that the nurse thought a long run was 30 minutes! That made me chuckle.

Aimee said...

I'm glad you got some meds! Hopefully they will kick in soon!

Christi said...

That is a great question! I hope you feel better soon!

Lisa said...

I've gotten the "are you a runner" question too! I've always wondered, why runners? Why not "are you a swimmer"?

Darlene said...

Feel better! When they were deciding on whether to cast my ankle or do surgery, they said, they would cast if if I weren't a runner...that made me feel good (except that the pain & recovery are worse). You can't have everything.

Black Knight said...

I hope you get well soon. That question makes we proud.
I remember during the surgery on my broken leg one doctor said to the surgeon: "be careful he is losing blood". The second replied: "don't worry this is the leg of a runner". I was too scared to ask something about it.