Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2011

rafFal Run, or race?

This morning was the local rafFal run.  It is called a run, but I'm sure some consider it a race.  Here's the gist:

  1. run the one mile loop and get a raffle ticket
  2. repeat
  3. stop when the clock hits 60 minutes, or before if you cannot finish another lap in the time allotted

It was a lot smaller than last year (291 runners & walkers this year compared to 415 last year).  Just like last year Amanda and I ran it together.  This year Darlene joined us and it was nice to catch up with her.  I realize that Amanda and I ran the first hour of the 15K together last week, but we still had plenty to talk about this morning.

thanks to Lisa for taking the picture
We ran the mile loop getting passed again and again by all the various high school cross country kids.  And the fast college runners.  And the fast runners.  The thing is, it just gave us more to talk about.  I ran 4 laps with Amanda and Darlene and then opted to walk/run the last lap.  Today I wanted to try running without my IT-band strap and I was fine for ~4 miles and then there was an oddly familiar discomfort in my left leg.  I knew what it was so I played it safe and started walking.

In the end I ran 5.3 miles and earned 5 rafFal tickets plus the one that I found on the ground.  With three of us we had 15 raffle tickets and did not win a single thing.  :(  Maybe next year!


5 comments:

ajh said...

I already saw Darlene didn't win! I only met Amanda briefly but I really liked her. Hopefully I will meet you one of these days. Darlene is the blogger I see the most! I will be interested to follow your triathlon training as I have no clue. I just bought a book yesterday as I want to begin to think about it.

jillconyers said...

Nice 5 miles!

The idea of a repeated one mile loop makes my head spin. My husband on the other hand runs similar races for 12 and 24 hours. Ugh!

Christi said...

What a very interesting race. I am glad that you had a good time.

J said...

Sounds like so much fun! Great job on that. Hope your IT band isn't bothering you too much!

Suz and Allan said...

What a neat race! Glad the IT band didn't give you too much trouble!