Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

My First 15K

I finally ran a 15K.  Yes, I've run a few half marathons and even a full marathon, but I've never run a 15K.  I didn't just pick any old 15K for my first.  I picked the Stockade-athon, which is recognized as the oldest "major" 15K road race in the USA.  The best part, it was ADP's first 15K as well.

Yesterday we went and picked up our packets.  In years past the shirts have been long sleeve so I was quite surprised when the shirts were short sleeve.  It isn't short sleeve weather around here, but it is a nice shirt that will sit in my drawer until next April when it is warm enough to wear it.
ADP's name is before mine in the ABC's so he had number 1229
Yesterday we were busy with life, taking care of the neighbor kids and getting things done around the house.   This didn't leave a lot of time to think about the 15K, which is a good thing because I may have changed my mind about running the race (as opposed to pushing myself and racing it).
ADP and Suzy pre-race

This morning dawned bright and early.  We got ready, dropped the kids off at the neighbors (we had their kids yesterday, they have ours today!!), and were off to the race.

We were there plenty early, which is good because I only had to wait a few minutes to use the bathroom.  Closer to race time the bathroom and port-a-pottie lines were horribly long.  There was a record turn out of ~1,800 so they really needed more port-a-potties.

ADP gave me a quick kiss (awwwww!) and was off to line up.  I stuck around with a group of local runners. Most are moms and all are amazing women.  We had a couple quick pictures taken and then we were off to the start.  Of course, getting to the starting line isn't a straight path because I saw some USA Fit runners and had to say hi to them as well. It is great to have a local race with so many familiar faces.

Strong Running Mamas
My plan for the race was to take it easy, walk up the hills (if need be) and finish the race.  Even though that was my plan, I had a time in mind as well...what runner wouldn't??  I really wanted to finish under 1:45 because I didn't know how I'd handle it mentally if I went longer.  My 'I don't know if I can do it because it'll be hard work and I'll have to push' goal was 1:40.  I really didn't think I'd have a chance to break 1:40.

Amanda and I lined up with a lot of the group and we stuck together for the first ~5.5 miles.  We needed some time to catch up as it had been way to long.  I was surprised when I saw my splits coming up for the first five miles (10:11, 9:56, 9:54, 9:33, 10:28).  Happily surprised.  Here's the thing:  we were running mainly downhill.  A race where the start and finish lines are close to one another and is downhill for the first half means only one thing for the second half:  UPHILL!  And then I saw "the hill" and made it part way and then walked.  I'm glad I walked because my calf is a little tender now.  I walked when it was uphill and ran when it was flat  for the next three miles (11:21, 10:26, 11:26).

Then I turned the corner and saw ADP.  My first question was whether he hit his goal (he did!!!).  He ran with me for about 1.5 miles.  It was great to have ADP running along with me and talking!  He ran me almost to the finish line and didn't even say a word when I had to walk for a few seconds here and there.  My final splits were 10:49 and 9:24 equiv.  What does that add up to?  Garmin says 9.39 miles in 1:37:46.  WAY faster than I could have hoped for!

ADP did amazing!  He finished in 58:30!  His prize:  he got a sticker for finishing the 15K in under 60 minutes.

My official numbers:
90 of 126 in my AG
#1344 of 1603 finishers
5K:  33:28
10K:  1:04:32
Finish:  1:37:35 net (1:37:59 gun)
10:29/mi average

ADP's official numbers:
7 of 98 in AG
#62 of 1603 finishers
5K:  20:02
10K: 38:36
Finish:  58:30 net (58:37 gun)
6:17/mi average

12 comments:

ajh said...

Nice job! You had a nice day for it. I've only run one 15K myself.

Suz and Allan said...

Great job! I've only run one 15K but I love the distance. Congrats on an amazing time!

Bridget said...

It was great seeing you today and running with you for a few miles! Great job!

Jen said...

Great job!!! I love that you wore your YMX balero. I have yet to do a 15k. As far as I know, we only have 1 of those in Maine.

Black Knight said...

Great job, you are a fast couple.
I have also run only 1 15 km: it is a nice race.
Very beautiful pics.

jillconyers said...

Congrats on a new distance! When my husband and I run races together we don't stay together during the whole race but it's nice knowing he is out there too.

Manderz said...

You did great. I was suprised at our splits for the first 5 miles too!! I had a nice older guy push me through the last couple of miles. Everytime I slowed to walk he told me to pick it up! I saw ADP at the turn and the first thing I asked him was if he made his goal ha!

Christi said...

Congrats to you and the hubby!

Jen @ Run for Anna said...

Great job to you both! Congratulations!

Molly said...

wow, congrats! ADP is wicked fast! You should do the Boilermaker 15K next summer, then maybe we can meet up! : )

J said...

WOW! Congrats to you both! Well done on the race! Love your race outfit!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Congrats! You both are looking so lean and speedy!

I loved your race outfit. So cute!


(word verification makes my smart phone dumb so I can't comment when I read on my phone. sorry. So I'm playing comment catch up now)