Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

What's My Pace?

The 24 weeks leading up to my marathon I worked hard to slow my pace down.  I knew it was the only way I'd make it 26.2 miles.  Even though I have a race coming up in less than a month my goal is to run it, not race it, so pace is not on the forefront of my mind.
fallen leaves make the creek visible
Now that the marathon is done (12 days to be exact), I am running by feel and not paying attention to my pacing at all.  I even changed my garmin so my pace is no longer listed.  I am good enough at math that I could easily figure my pace out by looking at the time and distance, but I don't want to...yet.  I have not run a lot, but I have run enough to be surprised by the splits on my garmin.

My first outdoor run was just over 3 miles and my splits were surprising.
A few days later I went out for a six mile run and once again didn't bother looking at my splits or pace until I was finished.

Considering I am not 100% yet and only 12 days post marathon, I am really happy.  So, what will my pace be when I finally recover fully?  Maybe I'll even set a PR or two in 2012.

9 comments:

Darlene said...

I bet you do.

Christi said...

You are well on your way to a PR!

Aimee said...

Nice job! On my short runs I like running without my garmin and just going by feel!

RainStorm said...

I'm impressed that you had to slow yourself down - I usually have the opposite problem!

Penny said...

I bet you will PR in 2012. Your pace is awesome after that marathon girl. I have had one 3 mile at 12.12 and a 5.21 miles this morning and my pace was 10.02, since my marathon last sunday. I'm feeling very good about my running going into the colder weather.

Jill said...

No doubt you will rock some PRs in 2012...that's some quick times and your body is loving the sans Garmin thingie!! :) Enjoy!!!

Anne said...

For sure!!!!! Great pace :)

Black Knight said...

It means that you have followed a very good marathon plan.
You are making the right thing now, take it easy and the PRs will come.

Molly said...

You are doing great!