Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

My Marathon Race Plan & Goal

I have been thinking about these two questions since I signed up for the marathon:  What is my plan?  What is my goal?

The second question is much easier to answer than the first.  I have but one goal:  FINISH THE MARATHON!  I have entertained other thoughts but there is only one goal.  The marathon course technically closes after 5h 30m and I would like to finish before the course closes.  If my ITB behaves, I would absolutely love to finish around 5 hours.  I am focused on finishing the race.

The finish line (10/2009 half marathon)
My plan is harder to pin down.  I was planning on running the course, walking through the water stops, and just plug along.  All that was before I rolled my ankle which caused my ITB to act up.  Now, I plan on running as much as I can with walking through the water stops and up hills.  The course is mainly downhill with a few little uphills and uphills aggravate my ITB so walking them should help me.

The race, the Mohawk Hudson River Marathon, is a great small race.  I ran the half marathon last year (set my current PR) and the year before (my first half) so I know the last half of the course.  My training over the last two years had me running on most of the first half of the course over and over.  The only part of the course I am not familiar with is the first 3.5 miles.  It feels good knowing the course.

the last ~5 miles look like this
Now, something I have no control over but must complain about anyway!  Fall marathon.  Fall usually means cooler weather (last year it was 38F at the start of this race and the year before just over 40F).  The average high is 63F.  So, what is the weather going to be like on Sunday?  HOT!
See Sunday...81F for a high.  The record high is 83F.  Gah!  Now, since this race is going to take me 5+ hours, I won't finish until early afternoon which means it will be about this warm when I'm running. I am so not happy about it.  The good thing about the forecast:  no rain!

11 comments:

Molly said...

Your plan is going to work, and you will reach your goal! Ugh over the heat, but that's a bonus that you are familiar with the course.

GOOD LUCK! Sending you positive racing vibes! : )

Darlene said...

One thing you can't change is the weather. Good luck - take it slow,hydrate...hydrate...hydrate. You are going to ROCK this!!

onelittletrigirl said...

Great minds think alike. We have very similiar goals :)

Jen said...

You are right - the 1st goal is to finish. I kind of wish my 1st marathon had that weather - I had downpours, 50 degrees, and wind gusts. You never know what you are going to get! Do you have support lined up? Also, we walked through all water breaks so we could get plenty of water in us! Good luck!

Tri Mommy said...

Good luck! I am sure you will be great, my first 1/2 was in June and while the temp wasn't too bad the humidity was killer. So I hope it is a non-humid day for you!

J said...

Good luck on Sunday! Hopefully the weather wont be too hot for you! Crazy weather we are having though- hot and cold! Weird!

Jen @ Run for Anna said...

So excited for you! I would be hating that forecast, too. That course looks beautiful. Good luck!

Kim said...

Oh my. Best of luck on your race. I would prefer the rain to the heat, Suzy. Hope it's not too hot for you!

Bridget said...

Well - somehow 81 degrees in the fall seems cooler than if it is 81 degrees in the summer! I know that is weird to think of it that way - but think of it as not as HOT as a 81 degree summer day.
Anyway - good luck!!!

ajh said...

Good luck and have fun. You are wise to have your goal be to finish. Lots of time for time goals. I loved loved this marathon. When I did it it was hot too. Looking at the pictures make me want to do it again. I am jealous. I had a blast for (most) of this one.

Review Link said...

We are looking for people to Join the 15th Annual Team Spirit Long Beach 5k and 10K marathon and help put an end to breast and ovarian cancer today!. You can help distribute brochures and yard signs to local stores, offices, and restaurants! Are you a people person? We have many community events where Team Spirit needs a presence. Volunteer to work a table at one of these events to hand out brochures and spread information about Team Spirit, and recruit participants! Already attending the marathon? Then help volunteer the day of the event. We need groups to assist with set up, participant check-in, new registrations, and drive or co-pilot shuttle vans. We will also need people to man water stations, and course monitors to assure participants’ safety and morale.