Pages

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Good, Ugly and Ending, Marathon RR

There is no easy way to write a race report, much less one that covers 26.2 miles but I am going to do my best.  It all started out...
marathon 'stuff' ready to go
ready to leave for the starting line
7:30 am:  dropped off by ADP and the kids (who were sporting their PJ's).  Headed straight to the bathrooms where there were 4 people in front of me.  By the time I was finished the line was ~100 deep.
8:00 am:  Group picture of the USA Fit training group that I've spent the past ~24 weeks with.
8:30 am:  We are off!  We started right on time as the half marathoners start at the same time...only ~14 miles ahead of us (yes, 14 miles...it all works out though).

mile 3.5:  Get chills through my whole body as I run through the research circle because I know the rest of the course!  I have finished the only unknown miles of the whole race.
mile 4:  Quickly remember how beautiful but LONELY the rest of the course is!
mile 5:  If it was a training day, I would call it quits and head home.  Hot.  My stomach hurts.  Hot.  My head is light.  Hot.
mile 7:  It is getting hotter.  Start to add more walking into the running routine.
mile 10:  Walk half mile, run half mile.  Make sure to run through picture taking:
mile 10...still looking ok
marker 13.1:  2:29:34.  No IDEA how I did it, but hit my goal of running the first half in 2:25 to 2:30.  
mile 14:  Call ADP.  'I don't know how to do another 13 miles.'  He gives me some tough loving.  I try to run.  It is hotter now.  Running = light headed.  Gel = stomach aches.  Water & nuun = stomach aches.
miles 14-17:  Go back and forth with myself.  Try running...get light headed and have to stop and put head between knees.  (Have I ever mentioned that I don't like it when it is warm????)
mile 17:  Call ADP again.  My side of the conversation goes something like this:  'I feel like hell.  BUT, I don't care if I am the very last person out here I am going to finish this g** d*** race.'  ADP said something like 'that's what I wanted to hear.'
mile 17 to end:  walk - walk - walk - walk - walk (you get the idea).  Water over head and down back at most water stops. Try to keep up fluid intake but have long since given up trying to eat solids/gels.
~mile 18:  find Ragnar Relay teammate sitting on the side of the road on a barrier.  I ask if she's ok.  I ask if she can walk.  I didn't really pay attention to my watch again for pace or heart rate.  We spent the rest of the race walking and talking and catching up.  Apparently I walk fast for her because I was walking and most of the time she did a running shuffle/run to keep up.
~mile 21:  Amanda shows up to "run" me in.  I knew I'd see her...but didn't expect to see her for another mile or two.  She was great.  Talked when we couldn't.  Listened.  Carried our waters.  Kept us moving along.  Amanda is the saving grace in this race!!!  She was amazing.  During this time we saw people sitting on the side of the course not looking good.  We saw one person on a stretcher with oxygen.  When the race was done, I found out that they treated a lot more people than years past...most of it because of the 81F high temperature.
mile 26:
best cheering group ever waiting for me

me and Amanda (the other in our group was just in front of us as her BF was there waiting for her)

trying to hold back tears as my kids run out to me

Run with me!  I ran the last half mile...and about the last .1 was with my munchkins.  
 mile 26.25:  DONE!  5:42:24
my arms were too tired to hold the banana, so yes this technique works just fine!

The best running friend a person can as for!

Bugs, me, & Punky (kudos to the photographer ADP as well)
The details:
5:42:24 for a 13:06/mi ave
first half 2:29:34 for an 11:25/mi ave
second half 3:13:27 for a 14:46/mi ave (I'll take it for a quick paced long walk)
place:  849 of 884 finishers
AG place:  unk at this time...when "they" are done checking all the BQ times then I'll have access to that information.  It looks like 3 or 4 finished after me though.
High temperature:  81F with not nearly enough shade to stay cool


It started good.
The whole middle was ugly.
And then it ended! 

Thanks to everyone who shared in this journey with me!  

26 comments:

Emily said...

CONGRATS! You are a marathoner! My personal belief is that the races that suck and challenge us are worthy of even more pride than the easy ones!

Manderz said...

I am so glad I was there to help you out!! I wish I could have done more; like make the sun go away. It was a brutal day for a marathon but you finished 26.2 miles. Loved the pic of the kids running in with you - that right there my friend is priceless. <3

Tricia said...

great job stickig out a tough race

Penny said...

Suzy, Your amazing. You made it to the finish line girl. I'm so proud of you. It's very hard to run 26.2 miles. I will be doing my 2nd marathon sunday and I'm starting to feel anxious, because I know what to expect and those last 4 miles kicked my butt last year. I just feel it in my heart that I need to run one more marathon so I dont feel like a one time wonder. I have learn never to say never, but I think this will be my last. Hoping to stick to half marathon from here on out. WAY TO GO MARATHONER.

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

You did it ! Great job! How better to finish a marathon than with your munchkins.

Bridget said...

Wow. I am so proud of you! It sounds tough - but you did it! Are you going to do another?

Kim said...

YAY! Congrats, Suzy! You worked hard for that finish!

Aimee said...

OH NO! I'm so sorry that race didn't go as well as you would have liked. BUT, you pushed through and finished!! THAT is awesome!!!! I love how you ran the last part with your kids...that was too cute!

Jen @ Run for Anna said...

I echo Penny's comments. You are awesome! Seriously, if the temperature gets above 60 degrees, I consider throwing in the towel, no matter how far I have to run. I can't do heat. You finished and you should be so proud!! Congratulations!! And, what better way to end the race than with your little ones.

Beth said...

It's so tough when it's hot outside. 81 is too hot for a marathon. Great job hanging in there and finishing! Wonderful that you had friends and family along the way. Congrats!

The Unexpected Runner said...

Congratulations! You are a marathoner!!!!!! You persevered under TOUGH conditions! I am SO happy for you!!!!!! What a feeling it must have been to see your kids at the end!

ajh said...

Congratulations! Your kids are so sweet. And I love that Amanda ran with you so far! You did it!

Darlene said...

Congrats! It was HOT but you stuck it out. You did it!!! You're tough! Now you are a marathoner!

Alma said...

Congratulations!

Velma said...

You did it. YEA!!!!!!!

Jill said...

Congratulations, girl!!! No matter how ugly it was, nor did not turn out as you hoped, you are now a MARATHONER!!! The fact you stuck through those very tough parts just shows how frickin' tough you are. Way to go! I am VERY proud of you!!!! :)

Molly said...

Congratulations! You definitely had the full experience, so happy for you : )

chillestad said...

You did it!!! What a great thing this is. Love the medal - you sure earned it. Congrats.

Tri Mommy said...

Congrats!!!! That is great, you are a Marathon chick! A Marathon is on my list... Will it happen, don't know?

J said...

Congrats on the marathon! Way to go! That stinks it was so hot out that day :( Hopefully you are recovering well!

Running Mama said...

Congrats! You finished! Running in the heat is definitely tough! I feel ya there. I ran in the 2007 and 2010 Chicago Marathons. Talk about hot! But you did great! Love the pics with your kids! Brings both tears and smiles to my face!

http://runningtoexplore.blogspot.com/

Suz and Allan said...

Congratulations Suzy! You did a great job! I know you must be so proud of yourself!

Black Knight said...

Congrats again.
Many beautiful pictures for a day to remember.

JenLo said...

HUGE Congrats to you for sticking it out and finishing. It is killer in the heat and you should be so proud of yourself for hoofing it for 26.2 miles! You're a marathoner :)

Teamarcia said...

Oh man, my heart goes out to you as I well know how awful hot marathons are. I PROMISE you they are a whole kinder, gentler animal when the temps are cooler.
That said CONGRATS MARATHONER! You did it!
The pic of your munchkins waiting for you at 26 brought tears to my eyes!

Stephanie Anne said...

Congrats on the finish!!! You pushed through when it got tough, such great inspiration. Hope you're feeling better!