Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Acorns are Evil

Yesterday I was out running and landed on an acorn wrong.  I'm not talking about the little acorns that I grew up with.  These acorns are easily an inch in diameter and when you step on one it just rolls and rolls.  My ankle turned so the outside of my ankle touched pavement and I felt something in my knee.

I have turned my ankle many times in my life so my first thought was not on my ankle, rather on my marathon that is in less than a month.  I still took it easy, iced, rested, elevated, and iced some more.

Today my ankle is fine, just as expected.  Unfortunately, my knee is tight.  There is nothing torn or pulled or anything bad (according to my self-assessment), but it certainly does not feel like it did yesterday before I turned my ankle.  I guess I should have iced my knee.  More rest, ice, and elevation are on tap for today.  And possibly tomorrow.  Maybe Friday as well.  Saturday will come and I'll have to decide what to do about my planned 21 miler.  I can only hope all the evil acorns disappear from the area and my knee feels better soon!

9 comments:

Darlene said...

Oh no. Hope your knee feels better.

Penny said...

Darn that acorn. I hope your knee is better for you 21 miler. Take care

ajh said...

Ouch. Heal fast. What a pain!

Bridget said...

Oh goodness. I hope you feel better. It's a dangerous running world out there!

Meg said...

OUch!!! I once crunched a pinecone with my foot and twisted my ankle, it hurt for days when it went in a certain direction!
ICE it and heal up!!

cql said...

ouch! dangerous running

Jen @ Run for Anna said...

Stupid acorn! Hope your knee heals quickly!!

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

Hope your knee is feeling better! Who knew acorns were so dangerous??

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

When I run long and my ankles get tired it seems like they will turn on anything! I'll remember to watch out for those pesky acorns!