Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2011

A 10K to Remember

This morning we went to the Dunkin' Donuts 5K and 10K run.  I had myself a cup of coffee and was quickly reminded why I don't drink coffee; I just don't like it.  ADP on the other hand loves it:
We got to the race early and it worked out really well.  We backed the car into a spot so we could see the runners and stay warm while sitting the the back end.  :)  Perfect for eating some Dunkin' Donut bagels as well.

Soon it was time to line up.  Did I mention that I wasn't there to run?  I didn't run, it was an ADP race.  I don't know if he lined up with a lot of short people or if he is really that tall, but he's the guy in the grey shirt below (middle of the photo).
The race started and ADP was off.  Soon the Dunkin' Donuts car was driving by tossing frisbees to the kids.  Shortly thereafter the front runners were going by.  They were SPEEDY!!  The 5K is part of one of the grand prix series around here so some of the really fast guys came out to race.  It was not long and ADP was running by!  We were excited to see him.

When most of the runners went by I saw this couple and I had to take a picture. I do not know who they are, but it was fun to watch them.  He was walking along like it was a leisurely stroll through the neighborhood.  She was walking along with a determined stride.  The best part is that they were walking the same pace!

3 miles done...only 3.2 to go!  Looking good!!
We saw ADP at the start, miles 1, 3, ~4 and then we walked to the finish line.  I brought along the best spectators any dad could want:  his kids.  They cheered when they saw ADP, asked lots of great questions about the different race distances, and watched faithfully at the finish line.
yes, those are winter coats they have on.  it got cold!
ADP turning the corner to the finish line! 
...and done!
ADP told me what his goal was prior to the race and he got it!  A cool morning 10K in 39:27!  Way to go, dear hubby of mine.  You hit your goal of racing a 10K and finishing sub-40.

The family did not stick around for the awards, but did find out ADP finished 6th overall and 3rd AG.  It was a 10K to remember!

8 comments:

ajh said...

Nice job to your husband. I love the picture of him hugging the coffee cup. That would be me.

MomRunningFromCancer said...

cheers to your hubby! under 40 - WOW!

I love coffee and would also be hugging the cup!

jillconyers said...

Under 40 is awesome! Love the first photo. I'm pretty sure I've had dreams about coffee cups that size :)

I'm hosting a giveaway to celebrate Countdown to Chicago. Enter to win a Run the Hood 2011 Virtual 5K and 10K registration

Celebrate Countdown Chicago 2011

Ewa said...

Congrats to your hubby.
I don't like coffee either but somehow I drink a lot of it. Does not make sense, does it.

Christi said...

Congratulations to your hubby! PRs are so awesome!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Congrats to your hubby! Glad the family was out in support of him. Good times.

Jen @ Run for Anna said...

First of all, winter coats? I can't imagine that right now.

Secondly, congrats to your husband on a great race!! That's an amazing time!

Black Knight said...

Under 40 is a very fast time! Congrats.