Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Change is in the Air (great news post)

This post should start with "Once upon a time..." and end with "They lived happily ever after" but it isn't a fairytale, it is my life, so I'll tell it how it is.

Eight years ago this month I left my job, ADP defended and passed his doctoral dissertation, we moved half-way across the country and moved into our first house.  Five weeks later ADP had just completed the first month of his first 'big boy job' and our first born entered our lives.  A short 16 months later our youngest arrived.  I have not had a full time - out of the house - job in the last eight years.  I've played around with a fun job (Pampered Chef Consultant), a job to keep me honest (Weight Watchers Receptionist), and some other things here and there.  The past eight years have been nothing less than spectacular with my kids.

This year will be different.  Both my kids will be in school full time this year.  I officially graduated last December and participated in commencement ceremonies in May.  I have been looking for a job but in this economy and with teachers being laid off in almost every district where I live there are not jobs to choose from.
And then there was another job posting to apply to.  I was asked for an interview.  I wanted to have high hopes, but it would be my fourth interview since graduating the other three did not go anywhere.  Less than 24 hours later I was offered a JOB!  Change is definitely in the air!  I'm headed back to work on September 1. 

Let's not get too crazy though.  I've been home for eight years so I think that working a part-time (.4 in the education world) job is going to be perfect.  I'll be getting my foot in the door in a public school!!  I'll be teaching general chemistry!!  I'll be home to get my kids off the bus in the afternoon!!  Like I said, I could practically end this with ...and they lived happily ever after.

1 thing:  I am posting this because I have been getting all the paperwork for starting school and will go to orientation this Friday.  BUT, I won't be "official" until the School Board approves me toward the end of Sept when they next meet.

22 comments:

Teamarcia said...

Congrats! What a momentous occasion to be re-entering the workforce. Here's to a wonderful new era.

bobbie said...

Hooray!!! Good for you and best of luck, hope it all works out for you :)

Zaneta said...

YAY YAY YAY!! Congratulations! I love happily ever afters! It sounds like the perfect job for you! :) I'll be thinking/praying for you next week!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

This is wonderful! What a great was to "ease" back into the big girl world. You certainly have been blessed to stay home with the kids and to get an education for yourself too.

I'll keep you in my thoughts when the board meets but I doubt you'll have any problems! Yeeah for changes!

J said...

CONGRATS! that is awesome! I am so happy for you!

Penny said...

Suzy that is awesome. Part time even I think that even better, that way you can get use to working out the home again. Congrats Gir.

Jen @ Run for Anna said...

That sounds like a perfect job! Congratulations and best wishes as you begin this new venture!!

Bridget said...

Congrats on the job! Good for you! Enjoy being back at work!

Raquelita said...

Congratulations on the job! It's always nice to hear good news!

ajh said...

A HUGE congratulations! I am so happy to hear this. I know too many people who can't get teaching jobs. I am so glad you did!

Runnrmom said...

Congrats! Teachers are AWESOME!!!

Jim ... 50after40 said...

Congrats ... that's so awesome!

MomRunningFromCancer said...

Super Congrat's - Change is certainly in the air!

Alma said...

Congratulations and have fun!

Black Knight said...

Congrats, enjoy this new job! I back to work on Sept.1 too (vacation time now)....but this is my 14th year in the Port Authority after 20 wonderful years in the Coast Guard.
Yes, change is in the air and teaching is a very important and delicate work.

jillconyers said...

Congratulations!! Change is good :)

Christi said...

Congratulations!

Jill said...

OMG, I am sooooo happy for you!! I know teaching jobs are extremely hard to come by and yet you scored one right in your home town AND it's part time so you can still be there after school for your kiddos, how cool is that!?!?! VERY happy for you, girl!!! :)

The Happy Runner said...

Working part time will be great! I am so happy for you, Suzy!

Anne said...

Congratulations!! That is fantastic news :) What a perfect job.

Molly said...

I am SO excited for you!!! I know exactly how you feel, with both my kids starting school next week, and me starting back part time. I wish you all the best with your new position!!!

kaydi327 said...

Congrats Suzy! I am so happy and excited for you. It is so amazing that you got hired as a teacher in this economy- you should be so proud of yourself!

Being that I'm currently where you were eight years ago, this post makes me really happy :)

-Katie @ Legally Fit