Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2011

19 Miles and RunLove Compression Socks (review)

Yesterday I completed my longest training run ever.  It all started bright and early (a.k.a. before the sun came up) and finished many hours later.   One running rule of thumb is to never wear something new on race day so I have been trying out different running items during my training (including yesterday).  So, when I got a letter from Cindy and Christy at RunningSkirts with a pair of RunLove Compression Socks I knew I needed to try them on some of my longer runs.
It all started a few weeks ago when I wore them to a training run and realized the azure color matched my shoes.  I never match this well when I run.  The socks treated me well, but I didn't notice any major difference after those 11.6 miles.  Since I didn't notice any major difference wearing them while running <12 miles, decided to wear them after running for recovery.  Nothing makes my calves happy like putting on a pair of RunLove compression socks after a run!  They definitely helped when I wore them all day.
They match my shoes

Yesterday I wore them again...and not only did they match my shoes, but they matched my shorts as well.  I put on a white RunningSkirt performance tank to finish the outfit and then completely forgot to take a picture of myself.  It was before the sun came up so please forgive me.

Midweek everyone who is in the group gets an e-mail from the coaches letting us know when and where to meet on Saturday for our long run.  The past few weeks we've done an out and back so I looked at the map and figured out where the turn around would be (I didn't see a map for Sat's run on the link they sent out).  I dropped off a bottle of water there and let ADP know that if the family was up to come by the turn around (a.k.a. park) because I'd love to see them.  So, imagine my surprise when we were told we weren't going to be going all the way to the park.  Instead we were going to do a 1 mile look twice so we wouldn't have to run up 'the hill.'  I was looking forward to seeing my family and running up the hill so I did the loop one time with them and then took off.

I ran alone.  I ran alone some more.  I kept wondering when everyone was going to catch me (because it is no secret that I'm the slowest).  Well, they did when I stopped at mile 6.5 to fill up my water and see the smiling coach who man's that station.  By this time the rest of the group had done 7.5 miles.  Yeah, I'm slow...but it works for me.  I ran with the group and then they turned around at the bottom of the hill and I went up!  I ran up the whole thing and it was one of my faster miles!!  I got to the park only to find out my family wasn't there (they slept in).  I turned around and was greeted with this (I had to stop to get a couple pictures before moving on):
view from the top of the hill

the path goes for a bit and then disappears down the hill
RunLove socks after 11 miles
Let's not forget this is a review.  I had run 11 miles and I never felt the socks on my calves because they were so comfortable.  I remembered to take a picture of the socks on the top of the hill.  It was great that they never bothered me.  They never felt like they were going to fall down.  I had 8 more miles to go and then the real test would begin - how would my calves feel over the next 24 hours?

I kept on chugging along.  One foot in front of the other.  I loved waving and saying hi to everyone on the course.  Pretty soon I was back at the smiling coach which meant there was another 5.5 miles to cover before seeing my car.  I chatted with her and she said all the perfect things to me, all things I needed to hear while training for my first marathon.  I thanked her for waiting for me, knowing I was the last one to go by.  I saw her again 2.5 miles later where the group had more water and fuel.

nice flowers at the top of the hill
Then I was in uncharted territory.  I'd never run this far before.  My upper legs started getting tight.  Thankfully, my IT band was not hurting.  I walked between .05 to .1 mile in each mile from mile 15 on; I am fine with this.  I turned the last corner and saw the group.  The other marathoners-to-be were getting in their cars and leaving while I was finishing the last .25 miles.  I finished my run and there were a few people there.  Usually when we finish runs there is water, gatorade, food, bananas, oranges, and other goodies.  This time there was nothing.  I know I am slow, but some water would have been nice.  I'm glad that I brought an extra bottle of water for the drive home.
top of the hill flowers
24 hours later my calves feel amazing!!  I attribute this to the compression socks from RunningSkirts.  I wore them during my run and my calves have felt great since I took them off.
"R" for right
The verdict:  They are definitely worth it!
Info:  RunLove Compression Socks can be purchased at RunningSkirts.com for 32 dollars.
Pros:  You can wear them while running or after or both.  Great colors (check out the website for the colors).  They stay put.  They really work.
Cons:  I do wish they were a little tighter through the lower calf (where the soleus is).

Disclaimer:  I was sent these socks free of charge.  The opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone.

14 comments:

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

I love my compression socks and sleeves, they feel so good! Those ones are so cute I will have to check them out.

ajh said...

Those are an awesome color! But I already have some and can't justify buying some just for the color.

Penny said...

Love the color of those compression socks. I dont have a pair. I cant justify getting any yet. I dont have to much of a problem with my calves so far. Prays the Lord. My thighs are what get sore on my long runs. I do wear compression short. Love your review. You are doing great on your training. It doesn't matter how slow we are we just have to cross the fininsh line. Keep it up.

Jen @ Run for Anna said...

Great run and I love those pictures! I haven't tried compression socks, yet, but I am intrigued since I've seen all of the positive reviews.

misszippy said...

Sounds pretty positive to me! Love the color, too.

Jenn said...

Congrats on 19!! Has to feel great to have that under your belt! Cute socks that serve a purpose!!

Molly said...

I am in love with anything compression. Those are cute too! Nice job with your longest run to date!

Aimee said...

First of all, great job with your long run! Woohoo!!! :)

Secondly, great review! I have a pair of CEP compression socks and LOVE them!!!

Manderz said...

Love the socks! Felice, Bridget & Janis have them too - you would have totally fit in on saturday. Do you have Zensah compression sleeves? I wear those and I am curious to know if the socks have just as much compression.

Bridget said...

I have the pink socks! I love them. And I love the heart on them!It makes me feel cute even when I am a sweaty crazy looking girl after a run.

jillconyers said...

I've been wanting to try compression socks and just keep putting it off. You've convinced me to get them this weekend! Love the color.

jillconyers said...

Congratulations Suzy! You're one of the winners of the Moeben Arm Sleeves!

[Fitness, Health and Happiness]

Black Knight said...

Great review. I have compression socks too but I never wear them in summer.
Black socks of course......

mylene sai said...

Wearing Compression socks regularly can help to prevent or ward off such circulation issues from becoming a problem for you.