Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Tug-of-War on the LR

I have struggled with which training group to do my long runs with (read my musings here).  The last couple weeks I've almost* settled into the red group for long runs, yellow group for weekday runs.  It works for me because I don't think I can keep up with the yellows for the long runs.  *Almost = the other red runners haven't been there so I've been running with one of the coaches and the yellows occasionally.


I feel like I've been in a tug-of-war during the long runs.  At the beginning of July I ended up running with a couple different groups (I love running loops for this reason).  The first four miles were relaxed with my red buddies.  The last three miles were at a stronger pace with a yellow runner.  The miles in the middle were with Mr. JH (who is one of the coaches) and we were playing pacing tug-of-war.  We just couldn't settle into a pace.  It was a lot of work.

Two weeks later Mr. JH and I ran 14 miles together and it was much better.  We kept the yellow group in sight for a while and then they took off and we just kept plugging along.  It is funny, when we weren't meeting up with others our pace was much more consistent and I didn't feel like we were playing tug-of-war.  I don't know what it was, but it was a good run.
7 miles out, 7 miles back on 7/16
Last weekend I ran the first five miles with Mr. JH again and our fastest and slowest miles only differed by 11 seconds.  I hope it was just the first few weeks that our paces were so far off.  It is much easier to run the same pace as opposed to play tug-of-war for mile after mile.

Does anyone use RunKeeper?  (I think it's an iPhone app.)  Mr. JH uses RunKeeper and I use a garmin 305.  Mr. JH's first three miles came in at 10:15 and mine were 10:50/10:37/10:23.  Those numbers don't match up at all.  Any suggestions on why the discrepancies?

6 comments:

Teamarcia said...

How cool you have the option of running with so many groups. no clue on why the numbers don't match up. Weird.

JenLo said...

I think that different GPS units "ping" the satellites at different rates. Depending on how strong the signal (or how good the GPS unit is) that may affect the times? I'm not sure.

Christi said...

I am so happy that you have so many groups to choose from. That is awesome! Keep up the great work!

Darlene said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Molly said...

your pace will become more consistent as you keep doing these long runs, I think your body just starts to get used to it.

Meg said...

That is such a neat way to organize runners and paces, you are so fortunate!