Pages

Friday, July 8, 2011

Playing Catch Up

I am behind on blogging and reading blogs and I have no one to blame but myself.  I guess I could blame the dog, but who could blame the fuzzy one who is giving me puppy dog eyes waiting for a pet while I write this?  Almost nothing is her fault, ever.

My running has been great this week!  Yes, I'm still working on getting over the ankle issue, but it is as close to 100% as it is going to get.  I never did explain the ankle...

source
A few years back I had some ankle pain that would not go away.  I stopped running and pretty much stopped exercising all together.  (I believe this is the reason I missed the 2008 Freihofer's Run for Women, the one 5K I actually participate in every year.)  It took a long time, but the pain finally went away.  By this time I had lost all semblance of fitness so I started back at week 1 of C25K.  Fast forward to a couple months ago, the pain suddenly came back.  This time, much wiser and not willing to let go of my fitness I did some research (peroneal tendonitis), tried following RICE (found out I'm horrible at the rest part).

Finally, I mentioned it to my chiropractor.  The short of it:  I LOVE ultrasound on injuries!!  My chiro did u/s a couple times and after the last time he was massaging the tendon and then suddenly pulled on my foot.  So was not expecting that!  For the following week I felt like I was running with a flipper on my left foot.  Talk about weird.  Apparently, in not getting my ankle looked at the first time round the scar tissue formed in such a way that I had lost some movement in my ankle.  This time I laid off any speed work and tempo runs until it felt like I could actually run without my foot going ku-plomp with every step.  This week I did my speed work, long and short runs, and tempo run all ankle pain FREE!  I didn't notice any ku-plomps either!  Such a wonderful feeling.

I'll try to be better at getting around to blogs.  I'm still settling into this summer vacation thing.  It is going fast, but we are keeping busy so it is a good fast vacation so far.

9 comments:

Teamarcia said...

I had that exact thing but on the inside. Amazing what we learn from chiros huh? Glad you're painfree!

Christi said...

I am so happy that your ankle is getting better. That is great news.

Molly said...

I keep hearing of the magic of chiro's, I think I might have to look into this!

Jen @ Run for Anna said...

So wonderful to run pain free!! I've been behind, too, on reading blogs and blogging, so don't feel bad. :)

ajh said...

Glad you are feeling okay.

Jenn said...

I can guarantee I'm farther behind than you!!! Gotta love summer!! Blogs can wait!

So glad you had a good week with the ankle!! Have a great weekend:)

kaydi327 said...

That's so neat that he did an ultrasound on your injury and was able to diagnose what was going on! I hope you stop feeling flipper-like soon :)

-Katie @ Legally Fit

The Happy Runner said...

Yay for no ankle pain! You don't need that in the midst of marathon training -- or summer fun. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Nicole Orriëns said...

That's great that the pain is all gone!

momshomerun.blogspot.com