Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Moving in at the Grocery Store

Stairs are a little more challenging today than usual.  Was it the 14 miles I ran yesterday?  Or perhaps the hours of weeding I did this morning?  Maybe it was putting the last 10 bags of mulch in the gardens?  Either way, my quads aren't quite their peppy selves.  

I forgot to mention that I got my 13.1 miles in for the month!  I'm taking yesterday's run as my 13.1 for the month.  I did lap my watch at the 13.1 mark (which happened to be on the only uphill of the day) and it was at about 2:20.  Hmmm, I really need to think about that.  My legs were feeling fine.  I wasn't as fast as my normal half-marathons but not as slow as I probably should have been for marathon training.  I will have to wait and see what the next 83 days bring, but I was thinking of hitting the half way mark more along the lines of 2:25.  Maybe I'll do this marathon faster than I think possible (a.k.a. 5 hrs).  I have 83 days to figure it out.  :)

This afternoon I debated moving in at the grocery store.  They have a lot of benefits:
  • Air Conditioning
  • Lots of food
  • Fresh fruits and veggies
  • More food
  • And...  when I was shopping this afternoon I had to look for a can of beans on the bottom shelf.  I got all the way down only to find out that there were none of my favorite Goya black beans on the shelf.  Then I tried to stand up.  I looked around, there were children nearby so all expletives on the tip of my tongue were swallowed and I considered just sitting down.  I really didn't have to go home, the grocery store would make a fine home and then I wouldn't put my tired quads through the act of standing up.  Eventually I thought of my loving kids and my husband, who surely would go hungry without me to feed them so I stood up (hoping that I didn't make too many groans in the process), finished my shopping and am now comfortable on my couch.
Lesson learned:  do the weeding during the week, not the day after a long run.

This week:
Sunday: 2 easy miles with lots of stretching & rolling in the middle (done!)
Monday:  35 minutes easy
Tuesday:  7 x 60/60
Wednesday:  a couple easy miles
Thursday:  30 minute tempo
Friday:  a couple easy miles
Saturday:  10-11 miles

10 comments:

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

Nice long run! Yardwork. Eh. It's hard enough to do that without doing a long run the day before. Haha!

Jim ... 50after40 said...

I've often thought about moving into a bakery. I'll do it one day ... oh yes, one day!

Aimee said...

Ha ha..I think living at the grocery store would be awesome. Although, a Super Target would be even more awesome! You have AC, food, and lounge chairs! :)

Nice job with your run! Woohoo for being faster than you expected!

Cynthia O'H said...

I love taking my boys grocery shopping in the summer. We can turn it into an afternoon event with estimating weight, comparing sizes, looking at imported fruits and veggies to see if they know what countries they are from.... Good times for all.

Christi said...

Ouch! Living in the grocery store is something I never considered before. Good idea!

Teamarcia said...

Gardening is a great workout! Especially when there's mulch involved.
Nice training week!
Thing 1 didn't really fly totally alone. Her grandpa flew in to get her so we walked her right up to the gate to meet him. Not sure I'd ever allow her to fly alone.

Velma said...

I love the grocery store :) Nice long run. We have all hobbled around - take it as a badge of honor

Molly said...

I love standing in the frozen food section during a heat wave : )

Black Knight said...

Yes, another lesson learned, we have always something to learn!

kaydi327 said...

Great job on the 13.1! I totally hear you on the air conditioning being an enticing factor at the grocery store. Still, I'm not complaining about this heat after the winter we had! Though I know you are a winter lover so you're entitled ;)

Katie @ Legally Fit