Pages

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Longest Run Ev-ah!

I had to look...so I looked yesterday.  My longest run to date was a 14.04 miler back in March.  Today's training plan called for 14 miles, only I made sure it came in just over last March's 14 miler.  A review of the run in pictures (sort-of):
it was cool for a change!
my newest running accessory!
we ran a lot of this plus some, turned around and came back
all done & the ice is melted, so how am I still sweating?
And a question...
I do not have the auto-stop turned on (by choice) so my garmin pace graph comes out looking like this:
Can you see where we stopped to fill water bottles?  How about the time we stopped to let others catch up and fill water bottles?  Yeah, they are pretty obvious to me too.

How do you do it?  I want to know the actual time it is taking me to run and I plan to stop for water and water refills during my marathon.  Is this a good way?  Any other suggestions?  Even with the stops, Here are the deets for today:

  • 14.06 miles (.02 miles longer than my previous longest run...longer is longer)
  • 2:29:51 (which included those 4-5 minutes of stopping)
  • 10:40/mi ave pace
  • Not enough calories burned to completely come out even after tonight's planned dinner out
  • Ave heart rate:  158 bpm

13 comments:

Penny said...

I didnt carry a water bottle, but I made sure I stopped at every water stop to get water or gatorade. As you are training you will find out what works for you. My goal was to finish and not to fret about time. I'm so excited for you Suzy. My first marathon was amazing. Keep on running girl.

JenLo said...

SO Awesome! Even one step further than your last run is still further :) Kudos, Girl!!

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

i don't think jealous even comes close to my thoughts on your temp!!!

On the watch I start and stop mine too during training, but for race day the only clock that matters never stops so I don't stop my watch then either

Cynthia O'H said...

Way to go on crossing to a new distance. Once you hit 15, it's easier and easier to build to even longer distances. Way to go!

ajh said...

I stop my watch when training.

Bridget said...

Good job! That bike path is awesome. Nice and shady. So - did you sit in that ice bath long enough for it to melt???

Anne said...

congrats on your longest run so far :) ...and I stop my watch when training.

Jim ... 50after40 said...

If you're going for a specific time, I think keeping your watch going is a great idea. Also, I try to begin simulating my marathon splits as soon as possible in training so my body gets used to the pace. Great job ... you got this ... no problem!

Jill said...

Congrats on the longest run ever - that's awesome!!!

I say leave the watch running, the clock doesn't stop in the marathon while you stop to fill your water bottle, so you get used to the overall time better.

Raquelita said...

Congrats on the longest run so far! I used to stop my watch when I would stop during training runs, especially if it was to get a GU out of my camelbak or to use the potty. Now I usually keep it going so that it more closely simulates those kinds of issues on race day.

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

I would not worry about your time in the marathon and just go out and do it. If you need to stop for water, stop. The couple minutes to do this is not going to have much effect plus you will have an official time from the race as well. Good luck! Nice job on the distance!

Aimee said...

Woohoo for your longest run ever! That pace graph totally cracked me up!!

Christi said...

Very nice long run!