Pages

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Which Color?

This morning I woke up to my alarm clock and rain.  Actually, I barely heard my alarm because the rain was really coming down.  I do not mind running in the rain so I quickly got up and ready.  Apparently I got ready too quickly because I wasted about 15 minutes at home before leaving and I was still the first runner there this morning.
wet windshield on the way out of my subdivision
all my wet clothing ceremoniously
dropped on the floor of the car
We had 6 miles on the schedule (which like two weeks ago was only 5.75 miles).  I have been debating which group to run with:  yellow (mid speed) or red (slower speed).  I know I cannot do green (it's more ADP's pace)!  The last two weeks I ran with the red group so today I ran with the yellow group.  The yellow group is a lot faster than the red group.  I tried it and now I know that I will not be running with them again at least for long-long runs.  I ran with the slowest runner of the yellow group and it was faster than I can maintain for a half marathon so there is no way to do it for a full marathon.  If I were doing a half marathon training program I'd go yellow all the way!  But, I am not doing a half and I have to accept what I am trying to do so I'm going with RED.

My issue with the colors:  they work well from a training standpoint but there are so few people in the training group that there isn't anyone running my wanted training pace during these runs.  Today the slowest yellow runner (who is nursing an injury) and I averaged 9:49/mi.  Last week the red group's pace was about 11:30/mi and the week before that it was about 11:40/mi.  There is no one running in the 10's.  :(

While this makes me sad, I am going to tell myself for the next four months that while I am basically running alone for group runs that I will also be running the marathon alone.  No one can carry me through 26.2 miles.  I have to do it by myself and I'll do the training with a group but by myself.  (If that made sense to you then more power to you.)

I checked the weather on the way home to confirm it:  yes, it was raining
Next Saturday's group run is 9 miles.  I'm going to try to hit paces somewhere between the red and the yellow groups.  Only time will tell if I can do it.

11 comments:

misszippy said...

Too bad about the group's paces. I'd keep going if I were you, simply b/c sooner or later you're bound to find someone around your speed.

Way to get it done, regardless!

Darlene said...

This is probably why I run alone. Beside the scheduling part, it's hard to find someone who runs the way you need to. Anyway, it's so intersting to hear about your training. Makes me want to...no I don't think so...

Christi said...

I often end up running alone with my training group because I am the slowest of the group except for the walkers. I completely understood your statement about the training and the marathon.

Penny said...

Even if right now know one runs at your pace, I would keep going just so you can have other people to run with. And in the process you will get faster and be up with some of those faster people.

Jennifer Cotter said...

I'm running in the 10's training for a marathon! Too bad we can't run together.

Anne said...

That's got to be a little frustrating as the whole idea of running with a group is to have running partners. But, as you say, the marathon is a solo event...I'm sure you'll figure it out!

Aimee said...

That's a bummer about the running groups. Could you start a new 10:00 pace group...a blue group?? :)

Nicole Orriëns said...

I don't mind rain either. It's only the heat that gets to me.

The colour system sounds smart, but also a bit complicated.

momshomerun.blogspot.com

Manderz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Manderz said...

Hopefully when you get into the 15 plus runs the group wont slow down too much! I think going slower is better then faster for marathon training. I trained for my marathon in the 11's and slowed down quite a bit during 18 & 20 milers. You're right that only you will get yourself thru the marathon. Great job getting out in the rain!

Emily said...

that's super annoying! is there any chance other people will show up on different weeks? I definitely think for long runs you should go for the slower pace and maximize the time on your feet/avoid needing a long recovery period after the run!