Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Up The Hill

I am not a fan of hills, but they are a necessary evil in running.  One of my goals this summer is to start running hills more.  Of course, I chose one of the hottest days to do them as well.  Oh well, so goes it.

I did a nice little warm up and then I charged up the hill.  I walked down the hill dropping my nuun off part way down and kept on walking to the bottom.  The second time I didn't charge, I ran up the hill at a much better pace.  I still felt like this at the end:

source
I walked back down the hill...again.  It was warm so I decided walking down was a good idea.  I did this hill thing four times and then did a cool down.  I did not really like running up the hills, but the hill was not the worst part of the run.  The worst part was running past my house halfway up the hill and walking past it halfway down the hill.  It was almost torture knowing the a/c was on and I could sit down and relax.  I didn't go in until I was finished with my four repeats and a short cool down.  Now, I'm all comfortable on my couch.  :)

For my info:  the hills were .25 miles long, 4% ave grade (acc'd to my calculations), up hill: 1:55, 2:02, 2:01, 2:01 (RI ~4:25)

8 comments:

Manderz said...

Great job on the hill work!! There is a 1/4 mile hill in my 1 mile loop that I do most days and it kicks my butt every time. The best part is watching people on their porches as they watch me run up and then walk down and repeat. I bet they want to ask me what the heck I'm doing

Mark said...

Awesome, Suzy! You will see such great benefits from these repeats. Keep it up!

Jennifer Cotter said...

I don't know if I'd have the willpower to have my house on any running route. :) Especially in warm temps ... I'd be opting for the A/C in a heartbeat.

Molly said...

nice work, especially in this heat!

Bridget said...

I started hill training today too. And it sucked. I hated every minute of it. And I walked a lot.

Candice @ I Have Run said...

I am not a fan of hills eaither, but I know they won't get any easier if I don't tackle them. Way to go on, and in the heat!!

The Happy Runner said...

Nice job! Hills help your running so much, at least in my opinion.

Bridget is going to try to run hills more between now and the Boilermaker. I run them all the time -- maybe you two could hook up and we could all run some hill repeats. I have a bunch of hills in my neighborhood.

Black Knight said...

Congrats on the hills job. You won't believe but on the same day I made a (only) hills workout for the first time after some months.