Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2011

G Fit Series Review

I was contacted by Kara, on behalf of Gatorade, and asked if I wanted to try their G Series FIT.  Sure, I'd love to try something new.  I expected a small package so imagine my surprise when I found a 2' x 2' x 2' box waiting for me at home one day.  The display box was impressive, but I have to say this:  we do not produce very much garbage because of recycling and reusing; the display box is equivalent to the volume of half of our weekly garbage (we did rip it apart trying to find parts to be recycled but it all had to go in the garbage).
open display box
Friday night I got everything all set for my early morning run.  I did not have time to join the running group on Saturday morning so I would be 'treadmilling' my 10 miles.

water, 02 Perform, 01 Prime (and Gu Chomps for fuel)
ADP was kind enough to get a picture of me demonstrating my superb drinking abilities on the treadmill.  
02 perform
Then it was ADP's turn to play Vanna and show off what I would get to drink after my run.
03 Recover
Morning came nice and early Saturday morning.  I was secretly happy I would be on the treadmill because it was raining, again.  I started with two 01 Prime.  This is what Gatorade says about it:
01 Prime is pre-workout fuel in the form of small energy bites made of fruit and nuts designed to give you a smart, delicious way tot prepare for your workout without feeling too full. 

I was surprised at how good the 01 Prime was!  I had two (there were four in the package), washed them down with a little water and a few minutes later I was running in place.

The first half of my run I tried out the 02 Perform.  I took a picture of myself running and despite my attempts to run on the treadmill, drink the 02 Perform and take a picture of myself I couldn't get it done.  So, to ensure I didn't hurt myself I just snapped a shot of me running minus the 02 Perform.

02 Perform is a lightly flavored electrolyte drink designed to maintain hydration more efficiently than water.

The bottle was 16 oz of Acia Blueberry so I had 8 oz straight (it was good) and 8 oz mixed with 8 oz water (not recommended).  I usually drink my hydration at half strength so I had to try it out but it tasted horrible.  Perhaps a different flavor would water down better.  The 02 Perform went down well, had a nice mix of nutrients needed and actually tasted like blueberry (when not mixed with water).

I finished my nice run on the treadmill and I was soaked!  It is getting warm in my basement and with all the rain our dehumidifier is having a rough time keeping up.  I took a little bit to stretch, roll, write in my running journal and then it was off to the kitchen.  I put the 03 Recover to bed the night before right between the milk and Brummel and Brown:
03 Recover
03 Recover is a light, refreshing, fruit-based smoothie designed to help restore your body after a workout through a blend of protein, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals.
It tasted like a strawberry-banana smoothie and it filled me up.  Good thing too because I quickly cleaned up and was off to work.  My running day had started at 5 a.m. and I did not have any solid food (except the 01 Prime) and I was fine until lunch.  I did not have one of my post-workout headaches that I get when I don't fuel correctly.  I was hydrated and happy.

**These were sent to me at no charge to try and review.  The opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone.

2 comments:

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

I water down my sports drinks also, I don't like them when they are really strong. The prime looks pretty good. I have been thinking about trying it, you may have twisted my arm!

Courtney @ I CAN DO THIS said...

(That's the first thing that I thought when I saw the display box picture, before I started reading the words.)

Wow, sounds complicated.
Ok, so you had GU Chomps in addition to the Perform - does it not have calories? Just electrolytes like nuun?

(By the way, I water down my drinks too, and GU Brew Blueberry was NOT GOOD at half strength. Maybe you're right and blueberry flavors just don't dilute well!)


Overall, is it a line you would buy?