Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Marathon Training Started Today

Marathon training officially started for me today.  I am training with the USA Fit group here in town and according to their schedule, it is the beginning of week 4.  I joined a little late, but that is ok.

Today I was supposed to run 5 miles, nice and easy.  It was one of the hardest five miles I've run in a long time.  Every time my legs started feeling comfortable I knew I was going too fast.  I am trying to learn to slow down and it is going to be rough going on these shorter runs.  It was not terribly warm out (63F), but it was very humid.  I was soaked with sweat by the time I got home from running.  
I tried something different with my hair as well.  Instead of a band, I pulled the front back in little ponytails.  It was great!  Although, after taking a picture I realize I need to work on my ability to part the back of my hair in a straight line.  
When I was done I had my normal post run drink:
This week's training calls for:
Sat:  5 miles (did it Sunday instead)
Sun:  off
Mon:  30/e
Tues:  45/hill
Wed:  off
Thurs:  35/tempo
Fri:  off
Sat:  6 miles

Only time will tell how this goes.  I'm not good at time based plans.  I have tried them in the past and after changing to a mileage based plan for my last few halves I've enjoyed it much more.

7 comments:

Aimee said...

Yay for starting marathon training! Nice work with your first run! AND, I love the little ponytails! What a great idea!

Jennifer Cotter said...

Congrats on starting your marathon training! I'm not good at time-based runs, either. I like achieving those mileage goals.

misszippy said...

Love the pigtails! And yay for the start of marathon training...you're on your way!

Courtney @ I CAN DO THIS said...

Ooh, I never thought about drinking V8. I bet that tastes so good after a run! I will have to try.

Manderz said...

Love the pigtails!! Reminds me of my BFF Punky :) The humidity is so hard to run in. I dont know if I could run by time instead of mileage. I cant wait to hear about your training

J said...

Great idea for your hair! I love it! Good luck with marathon training - the change in weather really has been drastic! i am so used to the cooler temps and now we have all this humidity! Guess summer is really almost here!

Darlene said...

Good luck with your training. Running a marathon - how exciting!!