Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Operation: Enjoy the Run

What's next for me?  I've put a lot of thought into this over the past week.  What to do, what to do...  I finally figured it out so I won't keep you in suspense any longer!  I'm starting 'Operation:  Enjoy the Run.'  I was looking back over the past year and I have been training for half-marathons since July.  I have run three official halves in six month (I ran one 10/10, 1/1, and 4/2).  It is time for a break from training plans.  

Don't worry, I have a training plan that starts tomorrow.  But, the difference is that if I want to take a day or a week off I will.  If I want to skip doing speed work, I will.  If I want to run my favorite 5-mile loop every run, I will.  And the best part, I won't feel guilty about it AT ALL!  I love running, but with all the training I have not had enough time to just enjoy the run and my time to myself.

So, this morning I was up early and I snapped some photos while I was out running.

the sun will come up eventually...

my shirt is glowing and I'm (gasp) running with music

1.3 miles later...there is the sun!

my least favorite part of the path...the road is about at shoulder level and it is a big turn
Never fear.  I have not completely lost all my senses.  I do have some goals over the next two-ish months.

  1. Enjoy the running
  2. Run as much as I want while the kids are at school (hence the two-ish month time frame)
  3. Get ready for two 5K's, both fun runs for me:
    1. Freihofer's Run for Women on June 4...I've run this quite a few times in the past
    2. Mud Mania on June 18...mud, mud and more mud!
  4. Learn to tackle these hills:

I was part way down one side when I took this picture.  When I was at the bottom I found a reference point, the circled pine tree, and ran up the other side, which is out of sight because of the curve in the road.  The pine tree is a normal sized pine tree (for these areas) and when I was at the top of the other side of the hill I could just see over the top of it.  One side of the hill is slow and steady and the other is much steeper.  I plan on running them and figuring out how to get up both sides without gasping for breath by the end of the summer.  Until then, I'll just enjoy my runs and keep on plugging along.

Next up:  Who knows!!  Isn't it wonderful?

15 comments:

Anne said...

Have a blast Suzy :)
It really is wise to remember to have fun with your runs once in a while!

Ewa said...

This is the best way to get results - enjoying what you're doing.
Have fun!

(BTW, I am sending you email about teaching chemistry)

Darlene said...

Have fun! See you at the Freihofer's if not sooner!

ajh said...

What a concept......enjoying running!

Aimee said...

I think operation "Enjoy the run" is a great idea!! Yay!

mindysmarathon said...

Sounds like a perfect plan! Enjoy your "training"!!

Cynthia O'H said...

No pressure! I love this concept. Happy training!

Liz said...

So nice to run for fun sometimes! Enjoy it.

Christi said...

I think you have it all figured out. I hope you have a great time "enjoying the run!"

Candice @ I Have Run said...

Operation: Enjoy the Run sounds perfect!!

And enjoy the hills =)

Emily said...

awesome goals. and seriously, hills are fun! so i think you'll be combining goal number one AND hills:)

Penny said...

I agree with you Suzy. I think when we are in training mode, it can take all the fun out of running. I think it's ok to step back to figure out what else you might want to do and what direction you want to go. Enjoy all your running and take lot of picture for us to see.

onelittletrigirl said...

Great plan- I did this after the philly half and it was fabulous!

Katie said...

I love the idea of running to enjoy the run! Though having goals are great, it's nice to take a break once in a while :).

-Katie @ Legally Fit

Badgergirl said...

Sounds like a great "plan." I'm looking forward to being able to do this, but I don't think it'll come until late September! Enjoy your runs!