Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

The In-Between Race, 13.1 RR

Once upon a time there was a girl who decided to run half marathons and she was blissfully ignorant going into her first race.  I am no longer that girl.  

We went to NYC a day early because of a Nor'easter that was supposed to dump 12" of snow on us (we only got a dusting).  ADP, the kids and I spent Friday walking around a museum and NYC in the rain before heading to get my packet.  When we got back to the hotel I had to try on the tech shirt for the family.  I was not sure about the green, but it fits well so who cares!
Once I dried out and cleaned up a little the family met up with some of the other ladies who headed down to Queens for the races.  We all went out for Italian and we had a great time!  
Bridget, Me, Janis, Amanda, Jen
After dinner I got my race things ready and crashed for the night!
too much race stuff
Saturday morning dawned bright and early.  I was up before the family and headed down to the hotel breakfast and had some fruit and oatmeal before heading back up to get read for the race.
First bib with my name on it!
We headed to the race and caught up with the rest of the group before the race.   Jen ran the 5K and the rest of us waited for the half marathon to start.  
Bridget, Felice, Amanda, Me, Janis
Amanda and Me...waiting for the race to start
The race started just about on time and I had a plan.  I was going to follow "the" plan.
And we're off
Amanda and I decided before the race that we would start together but if one wanted to go ahead or stay behind it was fine.  We stuck it out for ~6 miles.  Amanda was doing awesome and I was struggling so I pulled back and she went on (to an amazing PR).
Finally warm enough to drop the long sleeve shirt...mile who knows what
The problem is that:

  • I started too fast
  • My heart rate was much higher than should be by mile 2
  • My legs were tired from all the walking
  • I never got into a groove or found a pace I could stick with
  • I felt like I was going to toss my cookies more than once
  • It was a race and not a training run 


oooh camera, I'll wave even though it isn't going my way
It was not my race.  I gave up on myself more than once, like I usually do during races (does not matter if it is a 5K or a half).  Once I knew I was not going to PR I walked more and more.  It was not pretty.  I'm disappointed in myself and my performance.  I know I can do much better, but I cannot seem to do it on a race day.

When I got closer to the finish I knew I would see my family.  I did not know where they would be so I tried my best to just keep moving forward.
My cheering committee, Punky and Bugs, waiting for me at the finish
yes spectators, please walk right in front of me 

almost there
A friend took the picture of me running in (above) and said I looked determined.  Yes, I was determined to be finished with the race.  I was also determined to keep all the gel and water in my stomach.  Not my best race.
there is the finish!
Done, done and done!  Done with the race.  Done crying.  Just plain done.
Time and some real food in my belly helped me gain perspective:  it's an awesome medal
The in-between race:
In-between because of my four races my times are 2:14:48 (10/2009), 2:14:54 (1/2010), and 2:12:41 (10/2010).  My fastest and slowest times are only 2:13 apart and I split the difference with a 2:13:37 this time.  It makes me wonder if I am meant to run this pace.  ADP (who has been an awesome cheerleader since the race) assured me that I will break 2:10.  Only time will tell...

The others all did amazing.  Felice ran the race of her life!  Amanda had a huge PR!  Bridget and Janis finished their first half marathon and crossed the finish line holding hands.

21 comments:

MomRunningFromCancer said...

Some times it just isn't our day - or our race.

Spending a lot of time on your legs the day before probably had a lot to do with your tired legs.

The important thing is that you trained and ran and finished. Don't be too hard on yourself.

ajh said...

It is so hard to be at a spot like NYC and not be on your feet before the race. I am sure that didn't help. You are feeling like I felt after my last marathon. I don't like ending a race feeling that way. You will do another and feel better. I would have been furious at those spectators at the end of a half marathon! Glad your cheering committee was there to help you finish strong.

Darlene said...

Your pace is nothing to be ashamed of. Ther's so much pressure during a race. I always feel I can do better.

Aimee said...

Although you are disappointed with how you did, you shouldn't be! I know it wasn't the time you wanted, but you still did awesome!!

mindysmarathon said...

I know it's not a PR for you, but that is a WONDERFUL time! Way to stick it out and finish.

Beth said...

I know that you aren't 100% happy with your race, but you look awesome and happy in every single picture! I hope that you'll look back on it fondly. Did you like the course? Sorry that your legs were tired from walking around. That is an issue I have had, too, when I travel for a race.

Teamarcia said...

A www I'm sorry about the churning tummy, the struggling, all of it. Given all that your time is right in there. I too have a very small variance in all of my halfs--about 3 minutes until I shocked myself and widened the gap with a 3 min PR last fall. I just know you have a better time in you. Try not to over think it.

Teamarcia said...

Those last 2 pics of you and the kids are precious!

Jenn said...

First of all, CONGRATS on another half marathon under your belt. That is something to be proud of!!! Not all races turn out the way we hope. I've had a couple of doozies and would like to forget them forever. Keep running and ADP is right!!!! Love the pics and thanks for sharing your report!

J said...

Sorry to hear the race didn't go as you planned. At least it was nice weather for the race. keep running strong and I am sure you will break 2:10!

Molly said...

I've been there, I totally know how you were feeling, but you wouldn't know it from the photos!! Congrats on your first half, I'm proud of you : )

Katelyn said...

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your story!! I am running my first 10K in a couple weeks and I am terrified for it. Reading your post was helpful in reminding me that some days are just bad, so even if I have a bad day at my 10K the important thing is finishing and smiling!

Christine said...

Running is hard and racing is even harder when your body/mind don't do what you want them to do. You can and will get faster if that is your goal. Don't analyze this race for too long. Somedays finishing is the only thing that matters. If running 13.1 was easy, everyone would be able to do it :)

JenLo said...

So proud of you for just doing your best when your performance isn't meeting your expectations. That is just killer! Maybe you have to change your perception to expect that during a race your battle is more emotional and mental than physical, and go in to it knowing that it will feel a lot different than a training run. On the positive side, you have a very tight cluster in your times, so that's good--you are consistent!

Jill said...

Awww, girl - you give it a great effort and you have another half marathon under your belt, nothing can beat that. You have the drive and determination, something many does not have. Congrats on the race!!!

Kathryn said...

I think you are awesome!! Congrats on finishing and putting another 13.1 in the books.

Bridget said...

You did great!!! 2:13 is nothing to be sad about! Next race you will do better!!! No sadness! You are a strong running mama!

Penny said...

Sorry it didnt go like you wanted it. By golly you finished it. Sometime at race we just cant find our groove that happens. You will find it in the next race. You did great.

The Happy Runner said...

You finished strong, which is definitely a positive. You looked terrific and you'd never know you weren't having the race you wished for!

I've had those races, though, where I give up on myself once I know the race isn't going the way I'd like it to. It's a bad feeling. I wish I knew how to avoid doing that but it is a tough thing to do. I usually end up cursing at myself to get my butt moving.

If you want to break 2:10, you will. Saturday was not the day but the day will come. I know it!!

Black Knight said...

Another half under your belt and another medal around your neck! Congrats.
i like your personal cheering committee.

Badgergirl said...

Sorry to hear the race didn't go the way you were hoping, but congrats on sticking with it and crossing the finish line. Congrats!