Pages

Monday, March 28, 2011

The Taper and The Plan

The taper happening and normally I feel like this:
source
It is different this time. I am so busy that I actually missed my run yesterday.  Taper could not have come at a better time!  It is giving me a chance to do everything I have scheduled this week.  I did get out for a run today.  My training plan said 4 easy and since I missed yesterday's 8 miler I ran 5 miles today.  It was supposed to be an easy run.  I ran by feel and did not pay attention to my garmin.  Much to my surprise and dismay my time was not quite at an easy pace, it was more like the pace + 10 sec that I want to run this weekend.

And now, the plan...

I have a half marathon on Saturday morning and I have been training to race my A-race.  I planned on doing it in October and was doing well until about mile 8ish when I got hurt.  I still managed to PR even though I did not hit my goal.  I've been training to run a 2:07:xx half.  Two weeks ago it was weighing down on me.  So, I changed my thinking and although I trained to run a 2:07 half (and I know I can run it) I am aiming to run a 2:09.  I know it is "only" two minutes but it has made a world of difference in my outlook.

There is a whole group of us going to this race. I believe there are 5 running the half (including my marathon relay team) and one running the 5K.  Amanda and I are going to start the race together and see what happens.  We are both going for PRs on Saturday but only time will tell if we run the whole race or only the beginning together.  My plan...8 or 9 miles at 9:50.  When I get past the half way point plus a couple then I will run by how I feel.  If I am feeling good I'll speed up a little.  If I am hurting I will slow down a little.  I may just even keep going at 9:50.

Last but not least, the goals...

  • Overall
    • run happy
    • run well
    • enjoy the experience
  • Time  
    • I can do it:  finish the race!
    • My A-race goal:  2:09
    • If the planets align, wind is at my back goal:  2:07
Next up:  randomness!

10 comments:

Tricia said...

good luck!

Christi said...

Good luck! I hope you have great weather.

Emz said...

YAY ROCK IT!!

HAVE FUN!!

Emily said...

i like the goals and the plan. start at a strong pace and then KICK IT if you're feeling awesome (which you will be.)

Chip LeDuff said...

Love, love, LOVE the image here. :)

Darlene said...

I'm be thinking of you guys! Have fun! You can do it.

ajh said...

I like your plan and goals. I get the reset of the time. Too much pressure doesn't work for me but some does.

MomRunningFromCancer said...

good luck - you are clearly ready!

Liz said...

Great goals. Good luck!

Anne said...

Good Luck Suzy!! Have a blast! :)

http://anne-asthmaandthegiftofrunning.blogspot.com/