Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Let's Talk Fuel

I keep a food journal (about 50% of the time) and I leave it out on the counter (when it is written instead of tracked on my phone).  ADP and my kids can read it if they really want to.  It helps keep me on track, especially when we have so many goodies in the house these days.

source
I was 99% sure ADP does not look at it and it was confirmed last week when we were talking about fueling.  We need to get some more gels soon and I fessed up that I had not been using them.  I had not been eating any of the "good" fueling food either. The previous two weeks I had no fueling issues, I felt great running, and my weight was going down.  I looked at ADP and told him that I had been eating a Twix candy bar before running and fueling with Smarties.  The Twix was not the little snack size Twix either.  No, they were the cookie bars that you find in the check out lane at the grocery store.  They were wonderfully delicious.  Then there are the Smarties.  Oh so good and perfectly sweet!

source
ADP and I kept talking and he seemed to think people would look at me funny if I pulled out a Twix mid-race to eat it.  Really, would you look at me funny?  I don't care so much about what other people might think.  The problem is getting the Twix with me to the middle of the race without melting the chocolate.  I would not want chocolate covered fingers for the rest of the race.  Then there are Smarties, which I love.  Perfect in small doses for a sugar infusion.  Just don't bite down on one and inhale at the same time while running.  You'll be doubled over coughing trying to get the sugary powder out of your lungs.  See, I've "perfected" eating Smarties on the run.  And, they would be easy to keep with me during the race until it was time to open them.

In the end, I was convinced to go back to using gels for the race in April.  I'll miss my Twix because I cannot rightly consume them every other day without running lots.  I am not giving up my Smarties though.  Perhaps they'll become a perfect after dinner treat instead of mid-run fuel.

16 comments:

Teamarcia said...

Those are two of my all-time faves! I'd love to still eat them but I have zero control.
I wouldn't give it a second thought if I saw you fueling in a race with them. I'd probably wanna share. : )

Danielle said...

I wouldn't judge at all. Maybe I'm just seeing the "bad people," but most of the fuel I see people pull out during races is not gel, but candy bars. I have a friend who never ran a race without three bags of M&Ms.

Personally, you've made me think about getting Sweettarts for my upcoming marathon. They would probbably be just as good as Smarties, right?

Christi said...

I think those are awesome fueling options but then I love candy!

mindysmarathon said...

Look at you weird... nope. I might have a jealous gleam in my eye though, and think about tripping you to snag your Twix.....

runninglawyer said...

Does it make you feel better than I have been in a race and been handed smarties (which are called something different in Canada, FYI) from a pace bunny? I think a lot of people use them for fuel, more than you'd guess!

onelittletrigirl said...

I love love love Smarties!

At the Baltimore Half, they give out skittles and starburst at the races.

Emily said...

Snickers is one of my favorite sources of fuel. I say do it up with the twix.

Penny said...

Trix and Smarties sound like a good fuel food for me. Only I would take to long eating the Trix because I would want to savor every bite.

The Happy Runner said...

Are you kdding? lose the Twix? No way!
But then, I fuel with jellybeans so take what I say w/a gain of salt.

Stephanie Anne said...

Hey Suzy! I haven't ever been to Albany for a race, but its not too far from me. I had looked a little at the Lake George Half in April, but will probably skip it. Any good race I should know about?

ajh said...

One year I gave Emily smarties in her exam box of treats and told her to eat them just before each exam. She didn't get the "smarties" part and wondered why I put them in there. Oh well, a mom joke fell flat!
I like them too.

Aimee said...

Yum...I love twix and think they're perfectly acceptable fueling food! :)

Darlene said...

I love gummy bears but I did use GU during my half.

Black Knight said...

I ate twix 3 hours before the marathon. It was a very good idea.

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

When Biking Sherpa and I would run we would fuel with pixi-stickes and smarties. Then we would refuel after the run with freezer pops. Not kidding.

Badgergirl said...

Twix and Smarties, love it! I think I'm going with Gu Chomps for my half marathons this spring. I've been using the orange flavored ones and they work pretty well. Plus they taste just like Starburst!