Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Less that 10 Days

Outfit 1, too warm
In less than 10 days I'm going to be racing again.  Why is 10 a magic number?  Because I can now obsess about the weather.  I don't watch the weather or log onto news stations and look at the weather.  I do try to listen to the weather in the morning on the radio, but that is it.  My philosophy is:  winter = cold, summer = hot, clouds = be prepared for precipitation.  It works for me!  When it comes to races I'll check the weather once or twice (or more) a day to see what it is going to be like.  Today the weather report says Apr 2 is supposed to have a low of 42F and a high of 56F.  I'll gladly take that 42 for a starting temp!

Outfit 2, too cool
Other than that, I had a good run this past weekend.  My plan was to go out and run 8 miles at a slower pace (10:05) and then up it to my hopeful half marathon pace (9:45) for the last 4 miles.  I was up and out of the house midmorning and while it was cool out (33F), the sun is much stronger these days so I was over dressed.  I stopped back at my house at mi 6.75 and did a complete wardrobe change before finishing my run.  I had planned on doing all 12 without stopping, but I was just too darn warm.  Here's how I did:

  • 8.10 miles at 10:05 ave (I had to keep telling myself to slow down!!)
  • 4.0 miles at 9:35 ave (as soon as I wanted to go faster I could barely do a 9:45 so I had negative splits for these four miles to hit anywhere close to 9:45 ave)
  • 0.55 mile cool down at 12:17 ave
  • My splits were all over the place as usual (fastest mile was 9:23 and slowest was 10:18...not including my cool down).
Next up, trying to figure out a game plan for my race in just over a week.



5 comments:

Penny said...

10 days till your half marathon that is sweet. I will be doing my St.Patrick race 10k April 3, for some reason they are having that race late. You Go Girl. Just wanted to let you know I posted today about your sticker. Thanks for sending me one.

Liz said...

I've just found your blog and I think it's great! Great running last weekend!

Jim ... 50after40 said...

I LOVE the prerace planning (or maybe obsessing) 42 degrees would be awesome. You'll be great!

Christine said...

Love this post! WA weather changes so fast that no forecast is really accurate except for stepping outside to see for yourself! Weather says 42-52 for temp with a 60% chance of rain for my race on the 26th. I've run in all types of weather to prepare and I have two outfit choices for race day. Racing is good :) Good luck Suzy!

Beth said...

I'm glad I found your blog in time to wish you good luck for the race. I'm with you on obsessing about the weather. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!