Pages

Saturday, March 19, 2011

It Happened: A Good Run

So much for yesterday's bah hum bug post.  When I finished writing the post Punky and I did a few errands and as soon as she was on the bus to kindergarten I was off running.

Punky has afternoon kindergarten so she eats lunch at the same time I have a morning snack.  This is what I've been having before my weekday runs.
 Here is a look at the temp (WARM for upstate NY!!):
57.9F outside!
Punky got ready for school and I got ready to run.  I had a 5 mile mid-tempo run planned (9:40/mi goal). I have done very few tempo runs outside this winter due to scheduling, so it was good to get a feel for the pace on the roads.  I said bye to Punky and took off after her bus.  I saw her three more times as both the bus and I weaved through the neighborhood.  I finally turned away from the bus' route after about a mile and went my own way.  Thankfully, party of my normal 5 mile route is no longer ice and snow covered.  It was good to be out on my main circuit again.  Of course, it only got me about two of the five miles I needed, so I turned around and started to loop through my neighborhood.  In all, I ran 5 miles and walked .15 at the end.

I felt like I was watching my garmin the whole time because I was determined to run what I was supposed to.  The last outdoor mid tempo run I did I averaged 9:11/mi instead of 9:40/mi.  Yesterday I wanted to hit 9:40/mi.  I didn't do it, but I was a lot closer than last time.  I averaged 9:32/mi yesterday!  The 40 mph wind gusts did not help; in one direction it felt like I wasn't moving and in another direction I moved like the wind.

Post run pic...it was warm enough that I was sweating.
I love winter and cold weather and snow and all that the cold months have to offer.  I do not like the heat, but when it gets warmer there are a few redeeming qualities that will help me get through the warm months.  One of them is tucking my feet into my beloved berks!  I now have happy feet.

 

10 comments:

Aimee said...

Good job on your run! That must have been fun to run with your daughter's bus!

Yay for happy feet! I have a pair of Teva flip flops that I live in during the spring and summer!

Penny said...

Great run. I wish my feet looked like your so manicured. I need to get a pedicure sometime this spring. I love getting pedicures. I just wish the were cheaper.

ajh said...

Yeah for the happy feet and great run! I am hoping to get back into my beloved Keens at least some of the time this summer.

Molly said...

you're a Birkie Girl too!!! I love them so much. My husband even changed into them at our wedding reception : )

Cynthia O'H said...

I love chasing cars and buses. It was easy when I lived in Toronto and there was more traffic. Here, things move a lot faster and I'm lucky if I can make it from one light to the next before they leave.

Meg said...

I want some HAPPY toes like yours!!

Cleaning up AFTER the leprechaun was worse than the damage. I'm sure your kids had a blast!

MomRunningFromCancer said...

I love letting my toes out of winter shoes. ;-)

Great run - especially with 40 mile winds - I hate running in strong winds! Good job!

onelittletrigirl said...

I love love love goldfish!!!!

Black Knight said...

I like that morning snak, usually it is my afternoon snak.
Good job on the run

Nicole Orriëns said...

Oh, I love your Birkenstocks! I wear them all the time. They feel so good!

http://www.momshomerun.blogspot.com