Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Two Mile Run

I have not had a two-miler on a training plan in almost two years, but I find myself coming back to them over and over again.  Actually, my two mile run is becoming one of the more important training days for me.  It isn't on a training plan and I don't do them every week and yet it keeps showing up.

source
The day after a race or a long run I find myself doing the two mile run.  The purpose of the run is to loosen up anything that is tight from the day before.  I usually run at least 1:30/mi slower than a comfortable mid-distance pace.  The important thing for me is that I do not run two miles straight.  The main purpose is to stretch, loosen, and make my legs really happy again.

Here's how a two-mile day usually goes:

  1. Active stretching
  2. .75 to 1 mile run
  3. Roll both IT-bands and more active stretching
  4. .5 to 1 mile run
  5. Repeat steps 3-4 until loose...usually 2 miles, sometimes as long as 3 miles
  6. Finish with more rolling and active stretching
This works wonders for me when I do it the day after.  Another added benefit is that I usually do a two miler on Monday which means I start the week running instead of resting.  

6 comments:

J said...

Love the 2 mile runs! They are great for recovery purposes!

Teamarcia said...

Sounds like a great plan!

Christi said...

Active recovery is a great thing to practice. I usually do a nice spin on my bike to recover from hard days.

Penny said...

It sounds good. I will have to give it a try.

Meg said...

I need to try this out, I like the foam roller in the middle of the run!

Karen said...

I agree...those 2 milers post races are great! Have a fabulous weekend! :0)