Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

Marathon Relay 2011 RR

We did it again!  Felice, Amanda and I ran the 3-person marathon relay that takes place in the dead of winter way up north.  And let me tell you, we loved it!!  This year there were some other relay teams that we knew, so not only did we have fun running and catching up with each other, but we got to see a lot of other runner friends to catch up with.
Suzy, Amanda, and Felice before the race
Felice ran the first leg of the race.  We all went out for the 10 am start of the race.  We listened to some directions and cheered the runners on as they started.  The relay is run at the same place as the winter series I've run so it is not an interesting course, but it is safe and well taken care of considering the winter conditions.
Felice is ready to get moving
Felice's leg as 9.2 miles.  She seriously kicked butt!  But, I'll let her post her own report on the race.  While I was sitting inside waiting for Felice to do her running I checked the weather.  The weather had improved since the beginning of the race:  the "feel like" temp broke 0!  The wind said 12 mph, but it certainly felt stronger and colder than the forecast.
it warmed up a bit
Amanda and Me waiting for Felice
Amanda and I headed out a few minutes before we thought Felice would finish.  I took my winter coat in hopes to stay warm while we waited.  I really did not know if I would be warm enough for the race, but I was sweating when the wind was at my back and wasn't cold when I ran into the wind so I'm happy with my choices.  For reference, I wore Smart Wool socks, North Face bamboo/cotton gloves, nike wicking headband, and C9 leggings, mock turtleneck and mid-layer pink thingy.  I also had hand warmers in my gloves on the back of my hand and the pink coat thing (really, I need to figure out what to call it) had thumb holes so my hands had an extra layer.
Trying to stay warm
I had calculated my goal at 55:06.  I have no idea where that number came from because I did a D'oh when I finished and another when I got home...I miscalculated and should have had 54:08 for my goal.  I didn't know my calculation mistake while I was running and was intent on finishing in 55:06 mins.  My leg was 5.64 miles and I finished in 55:03!  This means my ave pace was 9:46/mi.  I stopped for water about mile 3...it was darn near frozen.  Unfortunately, mile four was not good for me (light headed and a racing heart means I have to walk or I'll pass out...I always pick walking).  Otherwise it was a great run.
Suzy and Steph

When I finished running I ran into Steph.  We met briefly last year and did not get a photo.  I've loved following her running and what she is able to do.  Last year she ran this marathon (there is a marathon and a relay option) and got her first BQ!  She's headed to Boston this year and with the marathon will have completed running marathons in all 50 states.  She listened to her body and opted to save her freezing fingers instead of finish the race.  I saw her right after we both finished and she was shaking she was shivering so much.  I stole the picture from her blog.  I hope she has warmed up!  It was a cold one.

Needless to say, when I finished my leg Amanda headed out for the final, and longest, leg of the relay.  I'll let her post about her run as well.  We caught her crossing the finishing line with the time on the clock reading 4:06:40.  Our official time is 4:05:34!  Last year we finished in 4:22:59.  We took 17:25 off our time!

PR!!  Amanda finishing
We did it!
It has not even been 24 hours and we are already talking about next year!  I have no doubt we can break 4 hours next year.

12 comments:

Christi said...

Congratulations Ladies! Way to brave the cold and break out a PR!

Molly said...

great job girls! Love the packers sweatshirt : )

JenLo said...

Great improvement, ladies!! I am running my very first relay (half marathon) with my sister and a friend and I am SO excited to be part of a team! I think it will be a whole different level of fun to run as a teammate rather than solo! Your relay report last year put the idea in my head, and I'm so excited to try it.

Running Librarian said...

Way to go! Sounds like a fun time was had by all :)

Pinkhatrunner said...

Way to go girls. I have never done a relay. It sounds like a lot of fun. Loved the pictures.

ajh said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! There is nothing like running with friends. It was a cold one though!

Karen said...

WOW! You girls took that much time off of last year's time in those conditions?! That's incredible! Way to go!! :0) Congratultaions!

Aimee said...

Woohoo! Awesome job! Way to set a new PR!

J said...

Brr that is cold! I wear my smart wool socks out for runs all the time and my feet stay nice and warm! Great job on the relay and congrats on the PR!

The Happy Runner said...

We are SO breaking 4 next year.
I think "pink thingy" says it all. Go with it!

I love that pic of you and Amanda.

Jim ... 50after40 said...

Just catchin' up from this weekend ... woooooo, your "feels like" was 65 degrees less than where I was. My hat's off to you and your team! Great job!

onelittletrigirl said...

What a fantasic group PR!!!!!! And you got some great photos too!