Pages

Saturday, January 22, 2011

A Slow Quickie

Thanks for all the get well wishes.  My fever appears to be gone so I got on the treadmill this morning.  It was a quickie:  2 miles.  It was slow though, the slowest I've run since last February.  I can now breathe through my nose but my throat hurts a ton from the deeper breathing needed during running.  Is it possible to feel better and worse at the same time?  I think so because I do.

I love my running journal.  I don't use the on-line trackers that so many use.  I have my Monet book that I've been tracking in since 2008 (I didn't track before that).  I usually take a line or two to write what is going on or how I'm feeling and then a goal for the run (distance or otherwise).  Some entries take up more space and some only have the distance I ran and where it was.  I don't worry about punctuation, spelling, or even complete sentences in my entries so they are not always coherent when I go back and read them.  It is fun to look back and read about the running and what was going on in life.

I mentioned that I haven't run this slow since February.  It was Tuesday, 2/23 to be exact and according to the entry I was still weak/sluggish from the food poisoning I had the weekend before.  Here is today's entry:

"Sa 1/22  Have Icky cold, anvil landed on head, body hurts - but fever gone.  goal:  be able to breathe through nose (aka: clear gunk out) 940AM
2.18 mi, 25 min, 1% inc 2mi @ 5.4mph & cool @ 4mph"

Nothing fancy, but it works for me!  When I started running today it really felt like an anvil had landed on my head.  Now, it is only on half my head.  And, I can breathe through my nose.  I consider that progress!

11 comments:

Ewa said...

Just keep progressing. Glad you are doing better.
I like keeping my workout records on the computer simply because thanks to Garmin downloads I can look at maps of my runs, sort them easily and so on. I am just a tech junkie, that's all.

Christi said...

I am so glad you are starting to feel better. I hope you feel perfect real soon until then I am sending more healing vibes your way.

Jim ... 50after40 said...

Glad you're feeling better - running when you're under the weather is really tough. Great job on pushing through it!

mindysmarathon said...

Glad you are feeling better. I love going back and read journal entries from when I started this whole thing. Enjoy your weekend!

Chris said...

Glad to her you are on the mend. Good idea to take it slow while you recover.

J said...

Glad you are feeling better! My mom used to write down her running and we just found her logs a while ago and it was cool to see her thoughts from almost 40 years ago!

Karen said...

So glad you are feeling better! :0) Keep taking it slow and you'll be fine!

Cynthia O'H said...

Glad you're feeling better. Take time to be strong before you start to push again.

Black Knight said...

Glad you are feeling better. No matter if that was the slowest run ... you have run and this is the most important thing.
I have a bloc notes when I only write distance and days off (recording also the reason).
By 0ct. 1, 2010 I also use the RWs training log.

dannie chOOng said...

hey hey, congrats for being nominated as one of the "Best Running Blogs 2011" hope to read many more of your fantastic running stories. sending you greetings from Malaysia...

onelittletrigirl said...

Breathing through the nose is a good start :) glad to hear you are feeling better!