Pages

Saturday, January 29, 2011

My Exercise Room

When we bought our house there was a finished room in the basement where the previous owner had his office.  The room has mainly served as a storage area for all the extra things we have.  We never did anything to the room other than think about what it could be...play room, toy room, storage room... I never thought it would be an exercise room.  When we bought a treadmill a few years ago we put it in the room and my idea for the room started forming.  It took a while, but I finally painted the room.  I used left-over paint from the hallway upstairs and paint I bought for the family room and never used.

All fun exercise type torture items (I used my non-used pilates rings to keep the balls in place)
We still have storage in the room.  Take a look at the shelves above, they are full of wedding things (yes, it's been 10 years and I still have my to-do lists) and chemistry books.  The ironing board and extra vacuum are stored next to the TV.  There are other things hidden here and there in the room as well.
The best addition:  a shelf next to the treadmill
While I love my treadmill, it has stupid cup holders.  I have never found a bottle that would stay in them once I started running because they are short and angled cup holders.  Every time I wanted to take a drink for the past few years, I would have to get off the treadmill to get my water or hold a water bottle while I ran.  Now I have a shelf!
All kinds of fun!
This past year ADP and I bought a TV and blue ray player for the basement so we wouldn't have to take the computer down to watch movies or shows while we exercised.  The TV is huge compared to the computer screen, but looks so small with the new red wall.  We also use our old TV cabinet wisely:  once the hangers are moved the old TV area is filled with yoga mats, a foam roller, Ralph the dog, and Gym in a Bag.

There is more to do in the room, but it took a few years to get here so I am in no hurry to get things up on the walls.  There is a little window that I need to cover as well.  I tried out my new exercise room twice this week and was inspired to run 6 and then 7 miles down there.  I already love it.

14 comments:

Black Knight said...

That is a beautiful exercise room with an appropriate corner for the treadmill. It is my impossible dream; with a secret blitz 2 years ago I put all my gym stuff into the basement of my flat but my wife decided that must remain the second (or third) dining room just in case.... ah women.....

J said...

Looks great! My parents have all the stuff in basement but there is no tv at all which can make riding the bike boring but some days its better than taking the time to drive to the gym.

Emily said...

I am so jealous it's not even funny. When you get sick of it, feel free to ship it to DC.

AbigailRuns said...

What a great room! Now that I'm running regularly I really want a treadmill....thats going on this year's Christmas list!

MomRunningFromCancer said...

Isn't it funny how a simple shelf can made such a difference!

It is great to have a room set aside for exercise that you enjoy spending time in!

Pinkhatrunner said...

When we built our house that was one of the things I asked for. I love my workout room. I like when I run short of time I can just slip on my workout outfit and go downstairs and get it done. Dont have to go to a gym. Congrats on your workout room.

Christi said...

A great lookin' room! My exercise room is in my basement but it is not a finished basement so I don't have cool painted walls.

I love the shelf by your treadmill!

Darlene said...

Very jealous - my basement is unfinished & my treadmill won't start so I go to the gym - you room looks great!!

Party of Nine said...

I LOVE this! We have a room that the previous owners used as an exercise room, but we decided to use it as our school room for now. We keep the treadmill in the garage (rustic!). Maybe in 18 years we can turn the school room back into the exercise room that once was :)

Cynthia O'H said...

The room is great. Ours is an exercise room but, like yours, has stored things in their and some race cars for the "man" of the house. One of these days, I may assert my feminine influence and put some Barbie's on the shelves.

Ewa said...

I could certainly use a cool looking exercise room like that. Can you hear envy speaking here?

Aimee said...

Yay for an exercise room! It looks like a great space!

Badgergirl said...

Looks great!

Chip LeDuff said...

I really like the way your treadmill is set up. Your room looks great!!