Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Looking at Time

The "official" results are up from the supposed 3-miler on Sunday.  This is at the top of the results page:

***A course marshal sent nearly all the runners the wrong way; actual distances run vary; almost no one actually ran 3 miles.***

Thankfully I had my trusty garmin on and I did not run 3 miles, I ran 3.11 miles.  I know I mentioned it, the other day but I have to again:  I got a PR.  I was entering the time into my race page and not only was it a PR, it was a 59 second PR.  That means I cut almost 20 seconds/mile off my time!  Go me!

ADP and I cannot remember if his 10K time is a PR or not.  He does not enter races very often and the 10K distance is hard to find.  He ran one 10K in 2002 and repeated the same race in 2003.  I am sure his time in 2002 was 44:xx or 45:xx.  I was not there for the 2003 race and I do not know what his time was.  It is not on-line, but ADP is pretty sure it was less than 40:00.  In thinking back about ADP's races made me think back to my first 5K.  

My first 5K was not pretty.  It was my first outdoor run of the spring (I guess I've always loved the treadmill).  It was hilly.  It felt like I was running a marathon.  I sat down on the curb and debating giving up about half way through.  I kept going and it took me 41 or 42 minutes to finish the race.  It was an experience I did not want to go through again so I did not enter another race until 2006 when I tried my second 5K.  A lot changed between 2002 and 2006 and my second 5K was better.  While I've run for almost 13 years now, I did not start entering races with regularity until 2009.  It does not mean the previous 11 years do not count, they just count in a different way.  I was a treadmill runner, a gym goer, and three miles was the longest I would run.  I was a runner, but not a racer.  Now I am both and I love it.

source
This runner and racer is gearing up for my next half marathon.  I did not hit my time goal in October.  I had a relaxing half last week.  I have the mileage built up for this race.  The next few months will be spent on "speed" (the Suzy version of speed) so that I can do my best in April.  This is going to be my half!  It all starts later today when I hit the pavement for a 5 mile tempo run.  I can't wait to see what I can run 13.1 miles in.

9 comments:

Christi said...

Good luck with your 1/2 marathon and congrats on another PR!

JenLo said...

I ran this half last year--it was a beautiful route! You will love it!!

MomRunningFromCancer said...

Way to go - I am like you - I have run for years but only started doing multiple races this past year. I have been running for almost 18 years - but usually only did 2 or 3 races per year. Last year I did 8 and am planning on doing one every month in 2011. I love the extra motivation provided by races.

ajh said...

Good luck gearing up for your half. I am running a just for fun half next month and one I really care about in April. I may do two others also. I don't think we are supposed to get much snow.

Whitney said...

Have you checked for your results history on Athlinks.com? I know I have claimed results back through early 2001-2002 so you might find your history there.

Karen R said...

I love your enthusiasm for the half marathon!

Hmmm...I will have to check out this race. Looks fun!

Christine said...

Congrats on your PR! How exciting. Congrats to ADP too! Good luck with your training...I'm looking for a half to do this year also.

Teamarcia said...

That's a great big PR!
I too dabbled in running for years, just a mile or 3 on the mill.
Have fun with that NYC half!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

A course marshall who doesn't know that course...funny only considering you had a big PR in the race!! Congratulation!