Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

Home Exercise Room Necessities?

I am in my own little dream world right now, dreaming of my perfect home gym.  Oh, the amenities and open space it would have!  There would be windows for natural lighting, plenty of room for all the equipment ADP and I use on a regular basis (I can't list those off because I don't know what equipment ADP uses at the gym), a sink, a fridge, a never ending fresh supply of towels, room for yoga and stretching plus more.

My current exercise room is not my dream room, but it is mine.  I am working on painting it while I'm sidelined these few days.  I have a want and a need list for my exercise room and a lot of the needs have been met.  I have a treadmill.  ADP and I bought a TV and Blue-ray disc player for the room for Christmas instead of exchanging gifts.  We have basic weights, two exercise balls, and a few yoga mats.  I have a two gallon jug of water on the shelf because there is no running water.  I also have a bucket full of running gear...you know the stuff I'm talking about:  fuel belt, various water bottles, gloves, hats, and more.  I have the basics and I am ready for more.  The question is, with the limited space what should I get next?  ADP wants me to get a bike this summer, so I have a feeling a trainer will grace the exercise room soon enough.

I do have questions for you.  The exercise balls roll around, how can I keep them in one place?  Do you spray your treadmill display down with anything special to keep it clean?  What do you do with all your old running shoes?  Next up:  I am going to buy a shelf to go next to the treadmill this afternoon so I can keep water within reach when I run.  Once I am done painting I'll put my exercise room back together and it will be wonderful.  What would you want in an exercise room?

14 comments:

Jim ... 50after40 said...

They make holders for the balls, but I've seen people use plastic dog bowls and plates. The treadmill guide should have cleaning instructions - I would only use water on the belt. Solvent based cleaners might dry out the rubber. The display can be cleaned with disinfectant.

I ususally give my old shoes to my son - we wear the same size. But there are several charitable organizations that take old running shoes.

Jill said...

In my exercise room, I have my treadmill. Do I need anything else? ;)

ajh said...

There are races that take old running shoes to ship where needed. And I take some to school for PE class for kids who don't have them.

Molly said...

I would love a trainer too. I have the treadmill in the basement, and a resistance band, medicine ball and kettlebells. The bells are fun, you don't feel like it's too hard while you're using them, but you really feel it later on!

Chip LeDuff said...

Sounds like you've got some pretty good responses so far. I'd probably just wedge the ab balls between a wall and two yoga blocks. But the dog bowl idea is good.

Also, for the shoes, Nike has a recycling program that turns different pieces of the shoe into either tracks, tennis courts, or basketball courts: http://www.nikereuseashoe.com/where-it-goes/sports-surfaces.

Kim said...

I donate my old shoes to shoes4thecity.com

I'd want a bosu

gmontalvo13 said...

i would love a home gym! think of how much you're saving a year! good for you!

Jenn said...

I would LOVE a home exercise room. I currently have my treadmill, bands, weights, balls etc. in my family room, the pullup bar in the doorway of my daughter's bedroom and water upstairs on the fridge! Someday! Yes-I'm trying to figure out what to do with all these shoes too!

The Happy Runner said...

I donate most of my old running shoes but keep a few to wear for kicking around. I wipe down my treadmill with Clorox (or similar) wipes. The display gets so sweaty and gross!

And...I gave you an award on my site today.

Katie said...

There are these little contraptions (my gym had them) that keep the exercise balls in place- a round plastic circle type of thing. Very worth it in my opinion!

You basically listed everything I would want. Maybe some kettlebells?

Btw I had to submit this comment about seven times before it went through :(

One Little Jill said...

My dream home will definitely have an amazing gym!

Mohtasham said...

what kind of home exercise equipment will I be needing for home exercises

Mohtasham said...

good informative blog, I always read your blogs whenever I get free. Keep on updating it with new stuff, I love your work. latest sms l how to make chicken biryani l tandoori chicken recipe l home exercises

Mohtasham said...

this is an awesome article must appreciate it, the ways you have explained above is really awesome, exercises to do at home l how to make chicken biryanil latest sms