Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Hangover Half Marathon RR

I honestly do not know where to start for this race report.  I didn't specifically train for it, but I did keep my mileage up in the months leading up to 1/1/11.  Life at home had been nothing less than stellar leading up to the race (Punky had strep throat and then a reaction to the antibiotics so we were awake more than asleep the night before the race).  Those things happened and then some more happened...

The Hangover Half Marathon is run at the same time as the Bill Hogan 3.5 miler and is part of the free Winter Series races I do during the winter.  The half started at noon and when I arrived to check-in I was shocked at the line and the number of people waiting to sign up for the races.  Thankfully, I had pre-registered this year so all I had to do was skip past the line (YEAH!!), initial that I was there, and get my bib.  New this year:  bibs!  Have I mentioned the Winter Series are low key?  Well, they are so getting a bib was a huge deal.  Amanda and I were pinned and ready to go so we headed outside to get our garmins connected and ready to go (it never fails, one of us has troubles with our garmin).  Thankfully there were no garmin technical issues this race.

It was a perfect race day:  partly cloudy, 45F with a very light breeze.  We were off and running and did the first ~3 miles with a friend who was running the 3.5 mile race.  Right around mile 3 those running the shorter race veered off and we kept going straight.  It may have been a perfect day for a race, but it is a boring race.  You can see below the loop we ran.  We started to the left of the map.  First we ran the outside loop.  Second we ran the inside loop.  Third we ran the outside loop.  Then we repeated the inside and outside loops.  Finally we headed back to the starting area.
garmin shows the way

picture this with no leaves and add snow brims

one of the more interesting parts of the course...a turn
I was there to start the year with a good run and to have fun.  Amanda was thinking about a 2:15 PR, but due to this and that and lack of training it wasn't happening yesterday.   I did have a good time and my fourth half marathon is now done.  The best parts:  I got to run with someone the whole time!  And, I did it pain free.  My last two halves have been painful (calf cramp in Oct 2010 and ITB pain for the 2010 Hangover Half).  I have a few tired muscles today and no pain so I am one happy camper in those regards.

Here is my problem with yesterday's race...well, problems as there were multiple.  We were directed the correct way but a friend of a friend was told to go the wrong way and we also saw some course marshals forget to tell a runner to turn so she had to backtrack and find her way again.  Then there was the food.  I read some other blogs and talked to some people who ran yesterday.  I KNOW WE RUN SLOW, but save some for us.  People who finished before us had bread, drinks (coffee, hot chocolate, water), orange slices, pizza, soup, cookies, and more.  When we finished there was only 1.5 pans of picked over bread and some peanut butter & jelly left when we finished (some means the jars should have been tossed because they you would need a spatula to get the little bit of food out of them).  Please do not start a race right when I am usually eating lunch and then have no food after.  It makes for a very grumpy Suzy.

Now the kicker:  our times are completely different than what our garmins said.  Let me explain.  When I said Amanda and I ran together, I mean the whole entire race.  If one of us needed to stretch or walk, we both did.  If one of us wanted to walk through the water stops, we both walked.  We crossed the start and finish lines TOGETHER.  It is my assumption that when two people cross the finish line together they should have the same time (no chip timing, just people writing times and bibs down).  Our finishing times are 2 minutes apart.  Timing started when the horn blew, so every single person running had the same start time.  To make it more interesting, my so-called finish time is 2 minutes slower than my garmin and Amanda's is about 2 minutes slower than my finish time.  Amanda and I have both written to the race people and we hope to have this settled soon.  So, for now I'm going with my garmin time of 2:21:52.  Yes, it is my slowest half but I had a great time and wasn't out there to PR or even try to PR so I'm happy with how the race went.

This ended up much longer than I wanted it to be.  If you made it this far, thanks for reading.  Next race I'll remember to take a camera along so I'll at least have some pictures to share.

12 comments:

Heather said...

I read!! Sounds like you had a fun run with your friend. That is strange about the times.
I am running my first half at the end of the month!

Heidi said...

Congrats on completing the race. It's so nice to run with friends sometimes.

I'd be pretty ticked at the time issue and the food issue. I did a race yesterday too and actually complained to the race director about the food. Yes, it's a cheap race, but they advertise warm drinks & snacks after. Warm drinks = only coffee (which I hate and they ran out of cups). Food = a few muffins cut up into the smallest pieces and bananas which froze during the race. I finished well into the upper half of runners and got the last crumb of muffin. Another race they did lat year they didn't even put anything out.

ajh said...

Those varying race times would drive me nuts as would the no food. You have legitimate complaints and the race director should listen.

J said...

It sure was a nice day out for the race! That stinks about the timing and there not being any food left. Hopefully the race people can figure it out! Happy new Year!

La Historiadora de Moda said...

I'm glad that you had someone to run with because that course looks pretty unexciting. I'm sorry to hear about the timing issues and the food thing is also really unacceptable!

Mark said...

Congratulations, Suzy!!

Christi said...

Congratulations to both you and your friend!

Karen said...

Congrats on the race! Happy 2011! :0)

Emily said...

Oh man. It's awesome you started the year with a half marathon but I would be soooooo annoyed by the lack of food and time issues.

Katie H said...

You guys did awesome! That is not slow at all in my opinion. I can't believe that you were some of the last finishers. It must be the hardcore dedicated super fast runners that run a half on New Year's Day :(

Sorry about the food issue. I only ran the 3.5 and had an orange slice, but a lot of the 3.5ers were eating the pizza and vegetarian soup. I'm sorry you didn't get to have any!

Wendy said...

Congrats on another great race!

Black Knight said...

Another half! Slowest or not it is another one and you ran it without specific train. Congrats.