Pages

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Trying Something New in 2011

One of the things I really want to do is try something new in 2011.  For a few months I thought 2011 was going to be the year of my first marathon, but it isn't going to be.  Then, I researched triathlons and as much as I want to do one it isn't going to be this year.  It was hard coming up with a list of races for 2011, but I finally did it and I am going to try something new...3 somethings to be exact.  Some of my previous races have fallen off the list.  They may make it back on but I need to be realistic: I just finished school, do not have a job, and (the kicker) my student loan payments start in January because I have already used my deferment.  ADP and I talked about it, the minute I get one of those full time job things (that are not available right now) the dropped races will probably be added back in.  But, enough on finances...

Without further delay, my 2011 races:

  • 1/1 Hangover Half, Winter Series #2  In 2 days I'll be undertaking another half marathon.  I did this race last year (it was the race that I couldn't get home from because I blew a tire in my car, RR here).  I'm ill prepared, but it is supposed to be a balmy 42F and I'm running it with Amanda so I know we'll have a great couple hours.  I'm going for 2:15 (my longest half ever, but I am starting the year out with a race!!).
  • 1/9 Winter Series #3  I volunteered at this race last year.  This year ADP and I will both run!  I'm planning on running the 3 mile version while ADP will tackle the 10K.
  • 1/23 Winter Series #4  ADP and I ran this race last year (RR here).  I have to decide between the 3 mile and 15K when the time comes.  If history says anything, I'll talk to Amanda and hopefully we can run another WS race together.
  • 2/6 Winter Series #5  The last of a series of 5 free races (free if you belong to the group that organizes the races).  I do not know what distances are involved in this one, but last year I did a 4 miler (RR here).  I have to go because it is free!
  • 2/20 3-Person Marathon Relay  The Pink Ladies are back!  Yes, Felice, Amanda and I are running the 3-Person Marathon Relay again this year.  I'm stoked and cannot wait.  We did it last year (RR here) and will have a blast again this year.  My goal this time:  no food poisoning prior to running!
  • 4/2 13.1 New York Half Marathon  Something new!  I've never traveled for a race nor has the family done a weekend in NYC, so we are combining the two and I'm running the 13.1 New York Half.  It looks like a flat course and the family should have the opportunity to see me a few times.  The cherry on top, Felice, Amanda and some of the group from last year's Freihofer's Run for Women will all be there running!  I'll practically be a party.
  • 6/4 Freihofer's Run for Women  I'm going back for another round of 4,000 women running a 5K on a looped course that has elite runners leading the way.  Last year was hot (RR here), other years it has been cold and raining.  What will 2011 bring?
  • October (date unknown) Squirrely Six  Another something new!  I'm going to run my first trail race.  I've never run trails, so I'll work on adding them in this summer.  It is a 6 mile course and if it goes well I'll up it to the half for 2012.  I'm getting ahead of myself though; one year at a time.
  • November (date unknown) Stockade-athon  Another something (sort-of) new!  I have never run this 15K.  Actually, I've never run a 15K at all, so new race and new distance.  Just last month I volunteered as a course marshal  (report here) and although there are some hills in this race, I plan on being ready and having a great time.
  • 11/20 HMRRC Turkey Raffle Hour Run  Another repeat here (RR here).  I can't wait to do it again.  Maybe I'll get more entries into the raffle in 2011.
  • 12/11 Winter Series Race #1  And another year of Winter Series Races begin!
It is going to be a marvelous year!  I am also going to go for 1,050 miles next year, which is more than this year.

15 comments:

Teamarcia said...

I am so impressed with your comprehensive planning! Thus far I've got nothing...although that will change in the next 24 hours when reg. opens for my first half of the year.
Happy New Year!

MomRunningFromCancer said...

11 races for 2011 - looks like a great plan.

I haven't planned out my 2011 races - nor have I determined how many miles I will try for - I need to get going on that. I would like to do one race per month - and I would like to try a duathalon . . . I am not a strong swimmer - so tri's are out.

Have a wonderful New Year.

ajh said...

Looks ambitious! Good luck! The New York City one should be very fun!

Christi said...

Great year of races!

La Historiadora de Moda said...

The job market sucks, but this line up of races is awesome!

Molly said...

great list, especially the NY half!! Happy New Year!

The Jogger Blogger said...

You have a fun year ahead! Teaching jobs are scarce around here but the perfect one will open up when the timing is right!

J said...

You definitely have a full race schedule! Looks like 2011 is going to be a very exciting year for you!

Darlene said...

Looks like a great year. Maybe I'll see you at some of HMRRC races - first I have to get through Jan 16. I'll definitely see you at the Freihofer's. I may consider the Apr 2 half (not sure) and if I keep up the long runs & stay healthy, I may tackle the Stockade-athon. Good luck finding a teaching job!! Is that a goal, too?

Heather said...

Wow. Great plan. Best of luck on all those races.

Aimee said...

It looks like you are going to be doing a lot of FUN races!! Yay!

Cynthia O'H said...

I'm so impressed that you already have your year of racing planned. Way to go!
Happy New Year.

Runs to Eat said...

Wow. Looking forward to hearing about how all your races go. Maybe some day we will run the same race.

Velma said...

Love it - a trail race will be fun!!!!!

onelittletrigirl said...

You are totally going to have an awesome year!