Pages

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Whoa Nellie!

This morning was a perfect morning for running.  I didn't run though.  I was here:
I know it doesn't look like much (especially from the inside of my car), but it was a big intersection.  A short 30 minutes after I took this photo the first runners went by and I had the joy of telling them to turn the corner by using my spiffy official bright orange flag.  You got it, I was a course marshal this morning.  This intersection was a busy one for the runners because it was just after mile 1 and then the runners came back through and mile 7 was just after the intersection.  I heard lots of garmins beeping during my time there.  It was great!  The cross road was large enough that I was working with a police officer...he directed traffic, I directed runners.  It was awesome.  When I was finished at my post I returned my official gear to the finish line and cheered in some friends as they completed their 15K.

This afternoon I did go for a run.  I started my training plan for my next half (1/1/11) and I took this past week to assess my running, where I was, and how far I had to go.  I decided today I'd start my training plan with a 7 mile run.  I did 6 by myself and then picked up my favorite running partner (for short runs); Maddie and I ran the last mile together.  I really don't think she could be happier than when she's running with me.  My favorite pup is out of practice because not even .5 miles in and I had to clean up after her.  While I love running with Maddie, I don't really like running with a bag of dog crap.  I'll take it though because it makes her so happy and I will always clean up after my dog.

Post run pic
For my run I had a long sleeve shirt on and didn't bother to pull the sleeve up over my garmin because I was out to run and enjoy the day.  However, I was running a familiar route so I knew about where the mile markers were.  I decided to stop about the half way point and do a quick stretch.  I pulled up my sleeve and looked at my garmin...3.05 miles...so I ran another .05 miles to get to a 5K.  WHOA NELLIE...if I had run a 5K this afternoon I would have a new PR of 28:22.  Once again, a PR during a run and not during a race.  I was surprised by my time and decided to slow down for the rest of my run because I knew I couldn't run another 3 + 1 at that pace.  My legs didn't agree with my mind and I finished 7.11 miles in 1:06 (9:17/mi average).  Whoa Nellie!  Not even 18 months ago I was gasping when I tried to maintain a 12 min mile and now I did 7 miles at 9:17.  WOO HOO!!!

Proof!  (My heart rate was still coming down when I took the picture.)
The best part about today's run:  no pain.  As in nothing painful anywhere!!

25 comments:

Anne said...

YAY!!! How encouraging to read this :)

Darlene said...

Glad you are back to running PAIN FREE. Nice seeing you again today - Yes, volunteering is FUN!

MomRunningFromCancer said...

How wonderful to be part of a run and directing runners! I haven't ever volunteered for a run BUT that is going to be one of my goals for next year. Without the volunteers our races couldn't happen. It is time I share the job.
Great running - isn't it wonderful to see such drastic changes in your abilities. Way to go. And I agree - I hate to have to carry my Sophie's poop. Yuck - but it is a necessary and she is my best and only running buddy.

Heather said...

Wow. That is awesome.
Maybe there is hope for my quickness one day too!

Karen said...

That's awesome! Congrats on the run today! Way to go with your time!!! :0)

How neat to be a part of a race! That sounds like a ton of fun!!!

Aimee said...

Yay for volunteering! That sounds like it would be a lot of fun!

And, yay for doing a speedy run today! Woohoo! Way to go! :)

Cynthia O'H said...

Race volunteers are amazing. The runners were lucky to have you out there.
Nice pacing on the run today. A PR is a PR; enjoy it.

Jenn said...

Awesome! What an exhilirating feeling a great run is! I love being a part of the race atmosphere, running or not! Great of you to volunteer and it sounds like you had a blast!

Jill said...

That's great you got in a nice run with no pain AND as a bonus, PR'd - even if it was just a training run. Just proves you're gettins speedier :).

Karen R said...

Congrats on your run! What a great feeling to have come that far in 18 months!

Volunteering sounds like it was fun! Have a great week!

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous run, Suzy! You need to sign up for a race, quick. Sorry I didn't spot you on that turn (I do remember it).

saundra said...

Glad to hear you are doing so well!
Good luck with your training and well wishes for remaining speedy as well as pain-free.

Hillbilly Betty / Waylon Aussies said...

I just did my first 5K this weekend and my running buddies did a great job of showing gratitude to the race volunteers and I followed suit! I was so amazed that so many people were willing to come out and brave the cold to put on such an event. I look forward to being able to return the favor one day!

Congrats on your PR time! My goal is to get a 9:00 pace next spring, so you have inspired me!

Christi said...

That is so awesome! Congrats on a pain-free, speedy run!

Velma said...

Nice work! How about that Packer win last night :)

Meg said...

Ah, pain free running is the bomb. Wish I could say the same today! Good job on your 7 miler!

J said...

Great job! Sounds like you have been having some great runs!

The Happy Runner said...

Yay! Great run!
You're doing the hangover half? I'm debating running the shorter race that day -- I'm only up to 5 miles now so a half is out for me. But 1/1/11 would be such a good day to do a race!

shellyrm aka jogging stroller mama said...

Nice way to help fellow runners! I'm sure their energy was amazing.

Congrats on your speediness and more importantly; your painfreeness. Is that a word?

Katie H said...

woohoo!!! Congrats on your awesome run!

Running Librarian said...

congrats on a great run!

Pretend this is real said...

Great run! Sometimes those times when you leave it to feel (and forget the Garmin) end up being the best.

Black Knight said...

No pain, a PR and a perfect morning! Great day!

Julie said...

Way to go Suzy!! Nice work! You are getting stronger and faster!! Doesn't it feel amazing? Go you!

Nicole Orriëns said...

Oh, that must feel great: waving a flag and having people obey you! I wish that worked as a mom.

I'm using a nike chip, but am quite tempted to buy a Garmin thingy. Are they easy to use? I just hate reading manuals and things.

http://www.momshomerun.blogspot.com