Pages

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Lost Memo

Team BAD did seriously well at the Ragnar Relay last year.  So when I got an e-mail about two weeks ago wondering if I would like to do it again I more-or-less told ADP I'd be gone for 48 hours for a race in May and that he'd have to take care of everything while I was away having a blast.  I was going to do the relay again and according to our fearless leader, we were going to be BADDER this year.

Fast-forward about one week and my school registration information arrived and while I am not taking any classes in the spring (DECEMBER GRADUATION!!!!), I needed to look at the calendar to find out when commencement ceremonies are scheduled.  The school only releases the school calendar one semester at a time, so I've been waiting...as has my family...to find out when I get to don a cap and gown again.  Apparently the memo got lost with the dates of Ragnar.

Ragnar and commencement are the same weekend.  

Nnnnoooooooooo!  I went back and forth for a few minutes and then came to my senses.  Ragnar Relays happen all over the place and happen annually.  I am only going to get my master's degree once.  Commencement this year (and Ragnar next year).  I have heard rumors that some or all of my family is planning on trekking to my corner of the world so they can watch me walk across a stage in a long, black cape-like outfit.  So, no - I do not think I can run Ragnar on Fri/Sat and still participate in commencement ceremonies if I have family visiting.

Next year I'll run Ragnar if there is a team that will have me...

12 comments:

bookwormruns said...

Oh, man!! What a bummer:( But Congrats on your Master's...that is amazing!

Molly said...

that's a bummer, that totally figures! But I agree with your logic....

Teamarcia said...

Big bummer! But you're right there'll be other years for Ragnar.

J said...

Oh no that is such a tough choice but I am think you made the right choice! You only graduate with a master's once and you should enjoy it!

Karen said...

That is a hard decision but I agree with you....graduation is probably more important! :0)

Anne said...

Congrats on your Master's! Commencement won't come again...good choice. Sucks you had to choose, but you'll definitely get to do Ragnar again :)

Julie said...

Hi Suzy,
I am so sorry to hear that you have two very special things going on at the same time:( You will only graduate once and you have worked so hard for this! There will be more future relays:) You totally made the right choice. Wow....December you will be done with school!! Awesome:)

Take care Suzy!

Manderz said...

I forgot to email you. My friend (albany running mamas) are going to do the MA relay. Interested?

Aimee said...

What a bummer! But, yay for getting to graduate!! :)

Meg said...

I totally agree with your decision...you've worked so hard! You deserve this celebration!

Christi said...

Great decision and congrats on the Masters degree!

Darlene said...

Congrats on your MA degree. Tough choice. Think you made the right one!