Pages

Sunday, October 31, 2010

A Sunday Run

One of the things I love about fall is the perfect running weather:  cool with a slight breeze.  Of course, since I ran this morning it wasn't as cool as I wanted (49F), but I took it.  I planned on doing my outer loop, which is ~5 miles.  Since my IT band has been tight (I don't have ITB Syndrome, just a weak hip and thus a tight IT band) and I came down with a cold on Friday I decided to do what I could with the run.

The first three miles were great!  My arms were tired, but since we worked in the yard and filled 21 bags with yard waste yesterday I wasn't surprised.  I had my garmin covered so I would not be bothered with my pace.  I stopped after the third mile and stretched a little and then kept going.  Yes, I had to walk up the hills because I started coughing and hacking...I figured I should save my lungs instead of hacking one up.  I was tired by the end of the fifth mile so I headed home instead of adding on the extra ~.5 mile I usually do at the end of this route.  I was really pleased to look at my garmin when I got home:  5.63 miles, 56:23 minutes, 10:01/mi pace.  For low expectations because of my cold and my tight IT band I did exceptionally well for me.
It was only appropriate to wear my shirt from last weekend's 5K, The Great Pumpkin Challenge,  since it is Halloween
Post run obligatory picture

On other topics...
I have finished my first week of my second student teaching placement.  It is at a much larger school, the students are 10th and 11th graders, and the day is long.  I asked about the day and apparently the teachers' work day at this particular school is one of the longest in the state.  Add a 45 minute commute and I am not home as much.  I did try to exercise in the morning once this week and there is no way I can do it unless I start getting up at 4 a.m.  So, this week I am going to try this:

Monday:  rest (a.k.a. student teach during the day, graduate class in the afternoon, homework until I collapse)
Tuesday:  run after school (the question is if I'll do it at the gym or from home)
Wednesday:  rest
Thursday:  x-train at the gym (apparently there are more machines for exercise than just treadmills...who knew?!?!)
Friday:  run 5-7 after school (we get out an hour early this day)
Saturday:   rest
Sunday:  run...when my IT band is a little better I'll do my long runs here

October mileage was lower than normal:  52.87 miles
YTD:  907.81 miles
Miles to go in 2010:  102.19 miles

I have more to say, but I must go.  I'll leave you with these two parting thoughts.
Happy Halloween
Go Packers!!!

14 comments:

bookwormruns said...

Happy Halloween!! Great run this morning...way to get out there despite a cold and your IT band :o) And good for you for fitting in exercise even with a 45 minute commute, school and hoemwork...that's amazing!!

MomRunningFromCancer said...

Yea for the Packers - but it wasn't a game that kept my interest. I watched the first half and then did yard work. I think I am glad I did - since the final score was 9-0 - but a win is a win.

Sounds like you are super busy - giving yourself a little break and skipping some days isn't the end of the world. You will pick it back up with you have more time. Don't stress!

JenLo said...

I really admire your stamina with keeping your running current while student teaching. There's no way I'd have as much determination!

Julie said...

Hi Suzy,
Way to go on the five mile run! I always get sore arms after raking and cleaning up the leaves:)

Enjoy Halloween with your little ones!!

Funny about the packers....well, if we can't win....it might as well be the Packers:)

Aimee said...

Happy Halloween!! I'm glad your run went well, even with the hacking and coughing!
It sounds like you're going to be super busy with your new placement. But, it seems like you worked out a nice workout schedule!
Good luck with those 10th and 11th graders! Yikes! 5th graders were as high as I'm willing to teach! :)

Alma said...

Holy yard waste, Batman! That's a lotta work - great job pulling a run off after filling all those bags! phew!

J said...

A 4am wake up is tough! I can do 5am all week but usually I fall sleep by 9pm on Friday! Hope you feel better and get rid of that cold!

Karen R said...

Great job on the runs! And on fitting everything in! Have a great week :)

Christi said...

Happy Halloween!

Staci Dombroski said...

Looks like a great workout plan for the week :)

Karen said...

Sounds like a great run! Good job! :0)

Black Knight said...

Great job on the sunday run and, yes, the post run picture is always obligatory.

khani said...

I like this blog, good luck ..! also visit hotel in bandung or nikon digital camera cases

Katie H said...

I am glad you had a good run! I hope you have a great week!