Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

Mohawk Hudson River Half Marathon RR

I'm not sure how to recap yesterday's half marathon.  I am torn and still wondering if something could have been different.  I'm working on finding the silver lining, but it is a bit difficult this morning.

We have family here for the long weekend to take care of the kids, which made the day easier on me.  I knew Bugs and Punky would be fine with my mom and her beau.  ADP and I were up early, way too early.

wasting time before leaving for the race
Maddie wanted to go along
We had about a 30 minute drive to the bus pick-up.  We got there early and went to the hotel lots were staying at in order to use their indoor bathrooms.  Why?  Because it was 36F outside!  Soon, it was time to load the buses.
school busses were not meant for adults...there's no room for our knees
Lucky us, our bus got lost on the way to the start.  The drivers were told to follow the bus in front of them.  The problem is that the half and full marathon started in different places and we ended up following a bus going to the full marathon start line.  Everyone on the bus spoke up...no 26.2 for us.  We made it to the starting line with an hour to spare.
ADP staying warm prior to the race

$3.50 worth of throw away clothes from the Salvation Army!
I had primed ADP about starting at the front.  He likes to start back a little because he's not that fast (or so he says).  He was up front and apparently was alone most of the 13.1 miles because the front of the pack was quite spread out.  Me, I was in the thick of it.  I didn't have satellite for the first mile, so I spent the trail portion of the race restarting my garmin.  It was up and going in no time, but I waited until mile one to hit start so I would have an idea of the mileage.  I didn't know how long the first mile took, so I added a random time to my total watch time so I would have an idea of how I was doing.

Let me say this, I was doing awesome!!  I was going to smash my time, my goals, and set a huge PR in the process.  (mile 1 unknown and then:  9:12, 9:18, 9:15, 9:35, 9:34/mi.)  Then, slowly it happened...a cramp in my left calf about mile 7 / 8.  Then I started overcompensating and my quads started hurting and tightening up (~mile 9).  Then my right hip flexor was hurting (mile 10 on).  I was walking more each mile.  I was hurting.  At one point I thought I was going to get sick so I down right stopped moving (somewhere in mile 10).  I tossed all thoughts of PR out the window and just wanted to cross the finish line.

Since I knew all good about the race and my time were gone, I stopped, pulled out my phone and snapped a couple of pictures.  Only one turned out.
The last 5 miles looked like this
Then friends started passing me.  Talk about a low.  I can run with food poisoning, I can fill in on relays at the last minute, I figured out how to run in the heat and the cold, and yet I couldn't get my calf to work properly on a 13.1 mile run.  Grrr.  Regardless, I ran as much as I could manage.  When I was .25 miles from the finish I started seeing people I knew and it helped.  Much to my surprise I did get a PR.  I didn't hit my goals, but I shaved over 2 minutes off my previous PR.

I found ADP right away and found out not only did his race go well, it was amazing!
1st place AG
10th place over all
1:27:27
(no idea who the guy next to him is...but he gave ADP the award)

Done and done!

ADP's AG award

LOVE the medals this year!
I talked ADP into running this race on 10/10/10 to celebrate our 10th anniversary later this month.  We ran, we went to dinner, we are done celebrating.  Now off to roll my calf again.

24 comments:

shellyrm aka jogging stroller mama said...

Happy early anniversary. Congrats to you both ona great half.n (I hope the calf calms down)

Hillbilly Betty / Waylon Aussies said...

Congrats on your finish and seeing the whole thing through! Even though you may not have finished the way you wanted to, you are still serving as inspiration to a newbie like me who is looking forward to my first 5K next month. You did great and you'll be even more hungry for that PR next time!

Christi said...

Happy Anniversary! Congrats on your PR and Congrats to hubby on his age-group win! It sounds like overall you had a great day.

Sorry about the calf. I hope it heals quickly!

Molly said...

great job powering through the pain, congrats on the PR!!! Looked like a pretty course.

And congrats to ADP on his win!!!

onelittletrigirl said...

You may not have had the perfectly planned race but you saw it through and still did awesome!!! And ADP- HELLO AWESOME! I love the medals and the mug!

Julie said...

Hi Suzy,
Way to go girl! Congrats on the PR! I know that you are bummed about no getting your goal time but that will come:) Enjoy the PR and be proud of yourself!

Holy cow! ADP just kicked some big time butt!!!!!! Seriously...1:27!?! ADP, you need to run a freaking marathon! I think you could really BQ with training:) Congrats on the age group win!

J said...

Congrats to you both on great half marathons! I know that feelings of wanting to just feel so and run the race. We all have those days! You did great despite everything! Happy anniversary!

Karen R said...

Cool run and story! Happy Anniversary!!

Darlene said...

You got a PR!! That's great! Next time, you'll kill them! happy anniversary!

Zaneta said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! ;D way to go both of you!! Congrats on the PR and ADP on the first place age group award!! :D

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Happy anniversary! Sorry about your calf, but I'd say that PR is your silver lining! Congrats!

Stephanie Anne said...

congrats on sticking to it & working hard!

Jill said...

Yay for the PR and congrats to your hubby, too. Sorry about your calf, I hope it is happier now! btw, did you go to Iowa State? I'm from Davenport...gotta love my Iowa buds! :)

ajh said...

Yeah for your PR and congrats to your husband. I love the medal.I have done the marathon and the half. I loved the course and thought it was very pretty as it looks in your picture!

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Congrats on the PR, Suzy! Sorry your calf was getting pesky in the race and it made you lose time. I know exactly how you feel! But a PR is still a PR, and there are more races coming. Your ankle can't stay cranky forever, and the rest of your body is already ready to go faster. :)

Katie H said...

Congrats on your PR! I'm sorry that your calf was so effed. You still did awesome. I'm bummed I didn't see you. And wow, ADP freakin knocked it out of the park. Maybe he missed his true calling? ;)

Aimee said...

I'm sorry your race didn't go as planned, but congrats on your PR! That's awesome!! Congrats to ADP too! That is a super fast time..wow!

Alan Dent said...

Great to get PR - espcially when your race did not go well - Hope your calf gets better soon

Jenn said...

Way to go Suzy! One ALWAYS has to be happy with a PR. Wow, your hubby is a speed demon! Very impressive! What a great way to celebrate your anniversary!

mindysmarathon said...

I totally understand calf pain. My right one has been giving me grief for about a month now. Hope you heal up, and way to go on the new PR!

Heather said...

Sorry about your calf. Good job though. It sounds like a great way to celebrate your anniversary!

Giorgio said...

Hi great marathon finisher :)
Seems you ran the last 5 miles on a wonderful path with autumn colours.
Congrats to you both on great half marathons and happy anniversary!

Badgergirl said...

Congrats on your PR and ADP's age group award! And happy anniversary!

Hope the pesky calf feels better soon.

La Historiadora de Moda said...

That's fantastic about the PR! I'm sorry I'm only just now commenting (I've been so behind on blog reading the past couple of weeks). I'm sorry the calf caused you trouble and hopefully it feels better soon!

Oh, and happy anniversary!