Pages

Monday, October 25, 2010

Missing PT Exercises

I had a plan, but the plan did not include the return of my IT band hurting.  So, the plan has been revised.  Here goes...

When I started student teaching I stopped doing my PT exercises (from the beginning of the year) for my left hip and leg for strengthening, which keeps my IT band nice and comfortable when I am running.  I found out that not doing the exercises has done me no good because my left leg is tight and slightly painful and making me unhappy with running.  So, I changed my plans.

I am not running the Hairy Gorilla this weekend.
I am not running the Squirly Six this weekend (my other option).
I am not running the Stockade-athon 15K in Nov.
I am volunteering as a course marshal at the Stockade-athon.
I am going to do my PT exercises a few times a week (I'm going to try for three).
I am going to keep my running to a minimum until my leg isn't hurting.
I am not going to sweat the fact that I have barely run this month.

On a happy note, the group of new runners I've been working with through the No Boundaries program ran their 5K this weekend!  It was amazing to be with so many people running their first 5K.  The mentee I ran with finished in 34:17!!  What an amazing time for someone who has never run before.  The best part, she and some of the other new runners already have a few races scheduled in November and December.

16 comments:

Aimee said...

Ohh...I am so sorry! That just sucks! I hope your knee gets better soon!

Julie said...

Hi Suzy,
I am so sorry to hear about your IT band. Bummer about not being able to do your races but I know that you will enjoy volunteering! It will be just as rewarding as running:) Take care of yourself!

J said...

I am the same way, I need to either keep doing my PT exercises or XT a few times a week to keep my hips, glutes and knees from being mad at me! What kind of exercises do you do?

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Sorry about the pain - hope it goes away soon. That's good news about the folks running their 1st race. Soon they'll probably want to run another one - it's hard to stop at just one!

Molly said...

ugh. sorry about the IT issues, hope it's better soon. But that must have been so great to watch that group of new runners finish their race!

Ewa said...

Smart decision about letting your IT band heal well. I kept trying too fast too soon with my Achilles tendon and that was a BIG mistake. Hope your exercises help you get well soon.

Jenn said...

How frustrating! Like the idea of volunteering though! Stick with that PT, be smart and you'll be back in no time! Good Ludk!

Christi said...

I am sorry about your knee but it looks like you have a great plan for fixing it.

Congrats to your group! I love it when new people come to the dark side and start riding! :)

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Wow, that really sucks. :( I had ITBS and it was not fun, and it took a while to get back up to 100% again. I'll be looking for you on the course at the Stockade-athon.

Katie H said...

Aw Suzy, that really stinks. Take time to heal!

JenLo said...

It's such a bummer that your pain is back! BUT I'm so proud of you for inspiring new runners. That is totally awesome!

Darlene said...

Sorry to hear about your injury! I'm volunteering at the Stockeade-athon. Wanna join me?

Badgergirl said...

Sorry to hear the IT issues have returned. But super cool to hear about your work with No Boundaries! Very cool that you've helped inspire some runners!

Anne said...

I think your plan sounds great...before you know it, you'll be back out there stronger than ever!

Yay for your mentee...that's so wonderful!

Black Knight said...

I am sorry, I hope you get well soon. What about swimming?

GadgetGirl said...

I was also at this run (we keep doing the same races-I did the same half as well)...I was really inspired by the mentors/mentees...they were a huge presence.

Great job!