Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

First Run

I went on my first actual run since my half this morning.  As expected, it went well.  I did have a little pain during mile 2, but I think it was because of the lack of running / too much eating I did over the last week.

Now that it has been a week, I need to figure out a training plan for my next half.  It is a free race on 1/1/11 called the Hangover Half.  It is hard to predict much about this race.  It can be 50F or it can be 0F outside.  The race is very boring in that it loops around a campus a few times.  But, it is a great way to start the new year.  I had a goal for my half last weekend that I did not hit; I would like to try again but since I cannot predict the weather for the next half I don't know if it will be possible.  Better yet, any locals running??  Realistically, if it is 0F outside I may go for the shorter race (it might be 3.5 miles).  I still want to be ready for all 13.1 miles.

So...should I re-do the last two months of the plan I was just doing?  Find something ~10 weeks long to get me to the new year?  Do what I can when I can?  What would you do?

15 comments:

Anne said...

I vote for re-do the last two months of your plan :) ...but, what do I know! Good luck.

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

If it were me, I would be careful about jumping back into intensive training. Recovering is a big part of training. Expect to be rebuilding for at least another week.

After that, following the last two months of your plan doesn't sound too bad an idea. I guess you don't want to start from scratch at extremely low mileage. Just be gentle on yourself as you recover, so you don't get injured, especially with cold weather.

I hadn't heard about that half marathon. It might be a nice one to go to. The price certainly seems right. :)

Manderz said...

I'm in the for half!

christina said...

I did my first half this past saturday and took my first short run today - 2 days later. WAY better then I thought it would be! Did 4 miles and it felt pretty easy. Im planning to keep my mileage at 5-7 miles three times a week and then hit the training hard come November for a full marathon in March.

I would make your own training schedule based on what you needed, what helped, what didnt for this past half. Thats what I did for my marathon training.

CHristina

http://last-weight-loss-journey.blogspot.com/

Christi said...

Like some of the others said I would take my time coming back into serious training. You don't want to hurt yourself or have burnout. However, I would look at your last plan and modify it a little to work for the next couple of months.

Kovas Palubinskas said...

If you're happy with the plan, repeat. Otherwise, try something new. Make the next half a fun-run and a good way to start off the New Year.

Molly said...

you already have a solid training base, I would probably ease up on the long runs until maybe the end of November. The last thing you want to do is overtrain.

Katie H said...

I plan on running the 3.5 miler that day. I need a bit of a break from the heavy training. I personally would wait but you know what works for you!

Tricia said...

I have no advice :)

but I look forward to seeing what you do

mindysmarathon said...

If it were me, I'd wait...but only you know how you feel and your body. Take it slow and see how you're feeling! Good luck!

Bethany + Ryan said...

that half sounds like so much fun!! wish we had something like that in my area!!

Black Knight said...

I am for the half and in my opinion you have already built the strenght and the speed for that distance, so you don't need to follow again the last scheduled program.
Glad that the first run went well.

La Historiadora de Moda said...

I would take a week or so to recover now and get that calf back to normal. Then you can probably play things by ear more or less following that training schedule since you already have trained for half recently.

Badgergirl said...

I had that same decision. I ended up taking 2 weeks fairly light and then following the last two months of my previous trainig plan. It's working so far.

Karen said...

Hangover half! That sounds like fun!! Congrats on your recent Half!! :0)