Pages

Sunday, September 12, 2010

What a Week!

Week one of student teaching is done!!  We had the students for three days and by day three I was doing half the teaching.  My cooperating teacher modeled what he wanted done and said the first two classes and I taught the last two classes.  It feels good to be at this point in my education.

I did not get all my runs in, but we are going through a huge adjustment so I am not beating myself up over it at all!  I will wait another week before mentally lashing myself if I'm not back in the groove by then.

I pushed Thursday's run to Friday morning and did 80% of it.  Thankfully my own kids did not have to be anywhere early (a.k.a. the bus) that morning because we were running about 10 minutes behind.  I may have to get up even earlier to get my weekday running in.

This morning I set a new DISTANCE record!  If this morning would have been a race I also would have set a half-marathon PR as well.  Woo hoo for me.  I met up with the running group again and did pretty well.  I stuck with them for the first 4.6 miles and did the last ~4 with them as well.  The middle miles, well I just didn't want to run up another hill so I turned around early and had some much needed solo miles.  Surprisingly enough, I did not think about school, homework, or anything related to what I have going on...I just enjoyed the views, watching nature, and listening to my footfalls.  I think those middle miles will keep me going through the next week.

For some unknown reason I reset my garmin after 12.01 miles.  I have no idea why, but I did.  So...

  • Training plan:  14 miles at 10:15/mi
  • Personal goal:  finish more than 13.1 (for a new distance)
  • Total miles today:  13.88!!!
  • First 12.01 miles:  1:59:35 for an average of 9:57/mi (oops...a bit faster than planned)
  • Last 1.87 miles:  19:42 for an average of 10:34/mi
  • 13.1 miles in 2:10:39 (previous time of 2:14:48...over 4 minutes faster today)
  • Splits:  10:07, 10:03, 10:01: 10:45, 10:02 (split from the group during this mile), 9:49, 9:46, 9:39, 9:36, 9:26, 10:03 (joined the group again), 10:03, 10:08, 10:??
I do not know what this week will bring.  I do know I will try to be better about getting around to blogs. I am way behind on my reading, so I apologize for my commenting absence.  I know that your comments help keep me going and I appreciate them so.  I will try to return the favor as time allows.

23 comments:

ajh said...

How exciting to be student teaching and already having real responsibility! Good for you!

MomRunningFromCancer said...

Hey those are pretty good miles. Way to stick with it and get to 14. congrat's for a distance record.

Must be exciting to be in the classroom teaching. What age do you teach?

Make sure to check out my 100th post - doggie giveaway! Your pup will love it. ;-)

La Historiadora de Moda said...

Woot! Congrats on conquering a new distance! I hope that you settle into a routine and groove with the new schedule and responsibilities soon!

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Nice job, Suzie! Don't you just hate it when those PR's come up in training? Well, chances are the race is going be even better than that. Yea for your speedy feet!

mommaof3ontherun said...

What grade are you working with? Is this your first round in the classroom? I love being around fresh teachers in the classroom! I hope that your cooperative teacher is a good model and inspiring!

Karen R said...

What a great week! You may not have got in every mile that you wanted to, but you did a great job with your long run!

And you are expanding another side of you with student teaching. Keep up the good work! :)

Ewa said...

Great job, running and teaching and managing not to think of teaching when running. :)
Congratulations.

Zoë said...

Congrats on your new distance PR! It is truly a fantastic feeling. :) Great run!

Julie said...

Hi Suzy,
Congrats on a new half marathon PR! That is a great time:) You are really having a wonderful racing season this year! I am also glad to hear that the teaching is going well too!

mindysmarathon said...

Great job!! Good luck with your student teaching, hope it all goes well!

Zaneta said...

That's really awesome about your student teaching! :) and really REALLY awesome about setting a distance record! congrats! :D

JenLo said...

Awesome job! I was thinking about you last week - wondering how the transition to school was going. Hang in there!

Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) said...

How exciting about student teaching! I remember being in that same place and being so nervous to actually take over the class myself. I loved it though and it was a great experience!
Good job with your long run! Woohoo for running your highest mileage yet!

Alan Dent said...

Congtats on your distance record during such a hectic week

Jill said...

Good luck with the student teaching...so much fun!!

Molly said...

you go with that long run!!!! I'm sure once you get into the swing of things you'll be getting the runs in, dont sweat it.

thanks for all the supportive comments about my marathon, I cant believe it's over!!

The Happy Runner said...

Great job on that run!

Meg said...

I missed you! You sound busy now that you are back to school but not too busy to run..awesome job on your 13.88!!! Great work and I hope your week has gone well!

chris mcpeake said...

great times... have fun with the teaching it can be a blast

JoAnn said...

Wow! Amazing time on 13.9 miles! Congrats on starting student teaching! I remember when I did my student teaching three years ago, I couldn't wait for the day I got my own classroom.
BTW, thanks for posting on my blog :-)

nickisnook.net said...

Way to go on your new distance and your first few days of student teaching! I know that those changes in schedule are tough.

Darlene said...

Good luck with your student teaching - Congrats on your amazing run!!

Badgergirl said...

Glad to hear things are going well in the classroom with your student teaching! And congrats on the new distance PR!