Pages

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Setting up Success

I had a few bad runs so I knew I needed a run in my favor.  ADP had Friday off so I switched my Thursday run to Friday so I could run outside.  My training plan says 6 mile tempo run; I knew with my challenges of late it wouldn't happen but I wasn't going to not run just because I wouldn't meet my goal.  So, I set out on Friday morning with this on my clock:
70F outside at 5:45 a.m.!?!?  Not quite what I wanted, but I powered on.  I ran a mile, relaxed and stretched, ran another mile, relaxed and stretched.  I did this for four miles and then I was pretty much physically and mentally done.  I did not look at my watch during my run because I didn't care if I was hitting 9:40/mi or not.  I lapped/reset my garmin after mile four and did a walk/run home for the last mile.  I was pleasantly surprised to download the information for my run to see the first four miles at 9:41/mi average!  Only one second over the plan's goal.  Granted, I don't think the tempo run was meant to have breaks after every mile, but I needed it and it worked for me!
Think the cars could see me?
This morning I had 10 miles on tap at 10:05/mi.  I needed another success so I spent most of my run trying to figure out what was the success for this run.  The temps were in my favor (55F)!!  I finally had a good night of sleep (cool temps)!  I was doing one of my new running routes backwards!  Nothing seemed to be setting me up for success.  Before I knew it 8 miles had gone by and I was only slightly off my goal (yes, I stopped and looked at my average after 8 miles).  I should not have looked because I "raced" the last two miles.  I finished strong with 10 miles at an average of 10:07/mi (goal was 10:05)!  I'll take it even if I did not have anything left physically when I was finished.

Splits:  9:45, 10:26, 10:09. 10:08, 9:32, 10:17, 11:14, 10:22, 9:45, 9:35

Two successful runs in a row!  This week I do not know what my plan will be.  For the first time in seven years I'll be "working" full-time.  I'll get my runs in, they just may not be as originally planned.

Monday:  2 miles with Maddie
Tuesday:  1K, 2K, 1K, 1K (400m RI)
Wednesday:  rest
Thursday:  5 mile tempo
Friday:  rest
Saturday:  kids' soccer season starts
Sunday:  14 miles at 10:15/mi - longest run ever

26 comments:

J said...

Nice vest!! I love it! I was thinking about getting one of those! Hopefully the weather will start to cool down now!

La Historiadora de Moda said...

I think I'm going to need one of those vests here soon. Great job on getting those runs in and coming so close to your goal paces!

Good luck this week with work and your runs! I'll be rooting for ya!

ajh said...

Great job!

Ewa said...

70F at 6am is just crazy.
This is one bright vest! Now that the days are getting shorter I need to look into more reflective gear.

onelittletrigirl said...

Way to go on your longest run ever :) Feels so good to break new ground!!

MomRunningFromCancer said...

cooler temp's will help with your runs. I ran 10 miles yesterday and 6 miles this morning in low 50 degree temp's - it was wonderful. The temp's have so much to do with how I feel when I run.

P said...

Hooray for successful runs! And how exciting to start hitting those "This is my longest run EVER" runs!

Alan Dent said...

Great job with those runs - Good luck with your work and fitting in your runs - its just a queetion of getting into some sort of routine

LMC said...

Way to set yourself up for success! You did great! You've got a major change coming up, starting to work full-time after 7 years. Wow! Give yourself some time to adjust and then work the run into your schedule so that it is part of your regular work day. Good luck!!

Karen R said...

I liked reading your success stories about the runs!

And being a mom is the most difficult job there is. So once you have been successful with that, you will rock any job outside the home! Good luck as you start your new adventure :)

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Yay for 2 successful runs and GL on your longest run ever!

Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) said...

Nice job on your runs! I love when my runs feel great! :) Oh...and I really like your vest! I definitely think the cars saw you! :)

Anne said...

I love your vest! Great job on the runs :)

J. L. said...

Hmmm, it was 31 degrees when I went for my run this morning. Perhaps we could compromise. Nice vest, by the way

Molly said...

nice job with the runs, glad your head is back in the game.

And good luck this week going back to work!!! You'll work it all out.

Kristen said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Great job on your two runs this week. 70 degrees at 5:45 am? Yuck.

I read your "about me" section and I too learned to drive a manual transmission in a Porsche!

Can't wait to read more.

Katie H said...

Awesome job on your great runs! :)

Good luck with the first day of teaching today!

Virtuous said...

Great runs!! I can't wait to do my first 10 miler!

Staci Dombroski said...

Sounds like it is hot out there!!! I hope you have a great week :)

Darlene said...

Great job on your run! I bet you're enjoying the cooler temps.

misszippy said...

It's all about how we perceive it, isn't it? Glad you had two good ones!

Cynthia O'H said...

Nice job. There's nothing like a bit of success to lead to more success. Keep it going:)

Amy said...

Great, I was entertained by the post. I learn more things on it. Thanks!!!

zbsports

Jennifer said...

Some great runs! I can't wait till we get that cool in Mississippi! Thanks for visiting my blog, just saw your comments! Cheers and stay cool!

H Love said...

you can do!

Jill said...

Good job on the successful back to back runs....and hope the longest 14er goes well tomrorow :). I'm so behind on blogs having had to go back to work - sheesh, the nerve!! ;). That vest is really cute on you, too!!