Pages

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Mentally Elsewhere

Have you ever been doing something only to realize you are not mentally there?  I'm here, but I'm not.  It is one of those weeks where I am preoccupied and it is really hurting my running.  I had a bad run on Sunday (thank you for all the wonderful comments!).  I was supposed to do 3x (2x 1200) on Tuesday and I made it ~400 before giving in and slowing down; I only eeked out 2 exhausting miles that morning.  This morning was supposed to be a 6 mile tempo run but I knew it was not going to happen so I set myself up for a success:  3 easy miles.  I finished all three miles, but it was tough.

I'm ready to be mentally present again.  I would put money on partial awareness Friday afternoon (1 week + 1 day) and fully back after another week or so.  Every fall life changes a little because the kids go to preschool or kindergarten.  This year I head back and it is a huge unknown.  While I generally embrace change, I don't deal well with unknowns.  I don't know what time I am supposed to be at school on Wednesday.  I don't know how my kids will do.  I don't know how I'll get as much sleep as I want.  I don't know how it will all fit into the day.  What I do know is that it will all work, it will just take a little adjustment period to get there.  My running will suffer during the adjustment because that is how I am made.

I will not give up on my running.  In fact, I'm thinking about adding another half marathon to my fall schedule.  Last year I ran my first on 10/11 and my second on 1/1.  This year I'll do both again, although I'm debating a trail half on 10/31.  It is supposed to be wonderful, fun, muddy, challenging, and possibly exactly what I need to get back at it.  I will wait until I'm a few weeks into my student teaching before deciding.  If I do not run the Hairy Gorilla, I'll probably try for an early spring half while the temperatures are still cool.

thanks to Random.org
You are probably curious who won the Anti-Monkey Butt giveaway!  Wait no longer.  


Congratulations to OneLittleTriGirl at Finishing is Winning


Drop me an e-mail at runningonmytimemail (at) gmail (dot) com and I'll get you hooked up!

15 comments:

Teamarcia said...

Looks like we are on the same plan. These weeks are tough. Hang in there. Good luck with school and all the new beginnings!

mindysmarathon said...

Take time to refocus and get your bearings...running will always be there. Pretty soon you'll find your equilibrium again!

Manderz said...

I think we all go through it. I know when I have a lot going on my running isnt the best it could be.

I am going to do the Hangover half with you and I am down for a spring half. We should travel somewhere :)

Anne said...

You're right though...it'll all work out. Good luck with the student teaching and getting the routine going again!

onelittletrigirl said...

Yeah- I am stoked :)

Katie H said...

Oh awesome! I plan on running the squirrely six :) If you don't run the half you should def run that.

I'm planning on running the Philly half marathon on 11/21. Melissa is running the full- you should come run the half with me! My mother in law has lots of room to stay :)

Bodywork Professionals said...

Maybe a massage? One of our therapists just wrote an article about how Thai-Yoga Massage can really help runners, by stretching the muscles and preventing injury and pain. It centers you too, so might help the mental as well as physical. Thought it might be a good thing to share with the local running community:

http://www.bodyworkprofessionals.com/articles/thai-yogamassageforrunners

Karen R said...

I know what you mean about the unknowns! I was blogging about that a few weeks ago. It is disabling sometimes.

Being mentally present is a huge thing that we take for granted, until our mind is elsewhere :) You will be back in your game in no time! Good luck to you

Forward Foot Strides said...

The unknown can be daunting, but you'll be awesome!

Congrats to One Little Tri Girl!

ajh said...

I so love half marathons but I have never done a trail race of that length! I can't wait to see if you do it and blog about it!

Heather @ Girl Gone Mom said...

Hi - what did I win?

I don't remember entering anything.

Julie said...

Hi Suzy,
Yes, you should add another half marathon to your schedule:) I have had a few crappy runs lately too! Somedays the mojo is flowing and somedays it is not. We will have better runs in the future...I promise:) Hang in there Suzy!

La Historiadora de Moda said...

I think we all have weeks like that sometimes, and when a lot of other life stuff is happening, it's not surprising that our mental focus isn't so sharp. I know I tend to struggle during weeks when I have writing deadlines or am behind on class prep or have too many committee meetings or all of the above.

I hope things shift back into place soon! Exciting about another possible race!

Cynthia O'H said...

I'm having the same issues with running, school and focus right now. Fortunately, my job is busy enough that I'm not daydreaming but, once the bell goes, all I can think about is getting home to my boys and running.
This is a tough time to stay on top; doing so makes you better.

Alan Dent said...

Unfortunately you get patches like this - dont lose hope It will all come back together - adding something new/different to your planned schedule is good
Keep on running