Pages

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Fitting In The Long Run

This weekend was different because ADP and I both had to do our long runs on Sunday.  Most weekends one of us will run on Saturday (usually ADP) and the other will run on Sunday.  This morning we both needed to run and the challenge is that we are both early morning people.  We both heard the paper being delivered at 4:15.  I swear we both heard every bird say good morning from 5 a.m. on.  The plan was for ADP go for his run at 6 so I could sleep in.  Well...sleeping did not happen this morning so while ADP was on his run I started mine on the treadmill while the kids were sleeping.

This morning's run was ADP's first double digit run!  According to him, he tried to slow down so he would make it through all 10 miles.  I learned a few things about ADP's affinity for numbers this morning when I looked at his Garmin Connect information.  The training plan called for 10 miles so he logged 10.66 miles. He said he tried to slow down which made his average moving pace 7:07 min/mi.  He ran 6, stopped home quickly for water and his first gel (Hammer Nutrition's Montana Huckleberry flavored gel, perfect for my Montana hubby) and went back out to finish his run.  (Now I'll find out if ADP reads this blog because he'll say something to me about this:  if he can run this 'slowed down' pace for another 2.6 miles he has a good chance of finishing in the top 40 for the half out of 800!)
After ADP's first 10 miler!
I mentioned my run started on the treadmill.  Well, I got up right after ADP left and I had just enough time to get four miles in on the treadmill before getting the kiddos up for the day.  My training plan said PHMP + 30 sec, a.k.a. 10:15 min/mi, so I got as close as I could on the treadmill with 10:12 for 4 miles.  I tried out a new fuel this morning:  Perpetuem in Caffe Latte.  I didn't have to take any gel along for my outside run, which I loved, but the perpetuem made me very thirsty.  I'll have to try it again another weekend (it says for events lasting longer than 2 hours and my HM's take longer than 2 hours so I figured why not?).


 off the treadmill
I got the kids up and had about a 30 min wait for ADP to get back.  When ADP returned Maddie was practically hopping around the house like a bunny because she knew it was running day.  I usually take her out for the last part of my run, but today she joined me for the middle 3.6 miles.  When I dropped Maddie off I went back out to finish my run.  Today was a great running day!

worn out and happy
Today's Run
Temperature:  treadmill run ~77F with 2 fans going, outside run 67F with a nice breeze and cloudy
Training plan:  11 miles at PHMP + 30 sec (a.k.a. 10:15 min/mi)
Personal plan:  get a good night a sleep first
Miles:  11.17 miles (4.0 on the treadmill, 3.6 with Maddie, the rest alone)
Pitstops:  0
Ave pace outside:  9:59 min/mi (oops, what happened to 10:15)
Plans for the rest of the day:  start The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Larsson
11 miles done!

13 comments:

mommaof3ontherun said...

sounds like a good run!

Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) said...

Nice job getting your run done! I like how you and ADP were able to figure out how to get it all done! My husband and I do most of our long runs/bike rides on the weekends and we're always trying to get it all in too!

P said...

Oh, I love that pic of Maddie after her run, she looks so happy!! So do you and ADP. :-) Great job, all of you!

ajh said...

Love Maddie's anticipation! Good job on the run and making it work for both of you!

Java Joggers said...

What a great way to start the day! I've been considering reading THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATOO, but am not sure about it... did you read it? Thoughts?

Anne said...

Great runs guys! Good job working it all out :)

Molly said...

It must be so much fun to run with your dog!

I haven't tried perpetuem yet, I've been sticking to Gu, but I did have Accelerade the other day. It tasted like a creamsicle!

MomRunningFromCancer said...

Nice way to break up the long run. I ran 11 miles today also. Way to go.

La Historiadora de Moda said...

Sounds like you both did awesome jobs with your long runs! I'm hoping my treddy will arrive soon so I can break up some of my runs more easily if need be.

Katie H said...

Wow that is ADP's slow pace? LOL. I'm impressed!

Great job on the run!

onelittletrigirl said...

ADP is going to kick it :)

You two are soooo cute!

J said...

Great job to ADP on his double digit run!! He is speedy! Glad you both were able to get your long runs in!

Jill said...

That's one of my favorite flavors of gel, too (huckleberry)- yummy! Excellent job to both of you guys for getting those long runs in. YAYYYY!