Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

3-by-What?

Tuesdays are turning into interesting running days.  I run two times on Tuesdays.  First run in the morning by my lonesome on my beloved treadmill.  Second run is in the evening with No Boundaries (last week was a .9 mile run/walk, this week 1.25 miles).  I'm happy that the second run is easy and I purposely picked to be with the slowest run/walkers because who knows how my legs will feel 12 hours after speed work.

My training plan says speed work today.  I've never really done speed work before so this is new for me.  Today my plan said warm-up, 3x1600 (1 min RI), cool-down.  I figured out how fast I was supposed to go on the treadmill (loving this pace conversion chart), turned on a movie and started.  It didn't take long to figure out my legs were still tight from Sunday's run.  My 1-minute rest intervals turned into .05 mi slow, turn treadmill off, get off treadmill to roll both IT bands, back on the treadmill, finish another .05 mi slow, speed up for next 1600.  The 1600's were hard and I admit I hopped off the treadmill during each 1600 to catch my breath at least once.  The problem is that while I'm normally really good at numbers, I had troubles this morning.

  • warm-up: 0 - 1.0 miles
  • first 1600:  1.0 to 2.0 mi (roughly equals 1600)
  • RI:  2.0 to 2.1
  • second 1600:  should be 2.1 to 3.1 mi (I went to 3.2...someone tell me how adding 1 gave me an extra tenth of a mile)
  • RI:  3.2 to 3.3 mi
  • last 1600:  should be 3.3 to 4.3 mi (I inadvertantly stopped at 4.2 but didn't realize it until I was at 4.37 miles)
  • cool-down:  4.2 to 5.26 miles
We'll take adding off my list of skills for the day.  Good thing the only big things I have to do today are balancing my checkbook and going to ADP's work picnic.  Maybe I'll do the checkbook tomorrow.

Thanks for all your kind comments about my 3-part run.  I will admit that I would have given up after the first five miles but I was about two miles from home so I needed to get there somehow and I was already running so I just kept running.  Upon returning home it was obvious Maddie knew what day it was.  Have you ever seen a dog wag her tail so much her whole body is moving while giving puppy-dog eyes to you?  Well, that is what I was met with and I did not have the heart to say no to my girl.  ADP offered to take her out but he did not think running on a full stomach of coffee would be a good idea.

11 comments:

Tricia said...

cool conversion chart

Karen R said...

I love the concept of running twice a day :)

Your blog encourages me since I have had trouble with my training for half marathon. I must get back on track this week, but your posts are great motivators!

Ewa said...

Running twice a day is a great way to build endurance and add miles. Sometimes we just don't have time for one longer run.

Katie H said...

Great job on the speedwork Suzy! Thanks for sharing the chart. I LOVE whole body puppy tail wags- so cute and joyful :)

Mark said...

Great job, Suzy!! You are training smart!

Emz said...

Your multiple run days are so awesome. Keep it up!

J said...

I cannot do math while running either!! Its like my brain just doesn't work that way!! Great job on the workout! Have fun tonight!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

It's great seeing a dog who loves to run that much!

I can't count the number of times I've messed up my math on a run!

Jill said...

Oh my, your math skills were cracking me up...hope you didn't balance your check book today - hehe. Nice job on the doubles - I totally love running double days!!

onelittletrigirl said...

I love two-a-days although next month will be the first time I am planning to RUN twice a day. Normally it is a bike/run or swim/bike type thing for me.

Joanne said...

Good speed work and you wow me with the desire to run 2x per day. Amazing.
My running partner is my dog, do you ever run with ...Maddie (is that her name?)?