Pages

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Running in the Dark

I was surprised by how many people commented on my "I usually run with the lights off" yesterday.  I have never gone off the back of the treadmill or really hurt myself when running in the dark.  I have gone to step off the treadmill sideways and missed the step.  I have whacked the front bar with both hands, once bruising my finger.  I repeat, I have never run off the back of the treadmill!


The first time I ran in the "dark" was in the cardio-theater at Gold's Gym.  It was a strange experience at first.  I could tell there were other people in the theater, but I couldn't see much else.  My senses were on high alert and I was paying attention to what I was doing on the treadmill instead of trying to ignore it.  The next time I went to the gym I had to try the cardio-theater out again.  I was hooked and in no time I wouldn't run on a treadmill with the lights on.  When we bought our treadmill I just kept it up and I love running in the dark.  With the lights off I'm not concerned about what else is in the room, what I need to get done for the day, or what errands need to be done.  Instead, I'm conscientious of my form, my breathing, and how my body feels while I'm running through every stride.  It is amazing.


Remember this: treadmills give off a lot of light from the console, so it is not completely dark.  And, the little window in my exercise room lets me know when the sun rises, though for most of the year I'm done on the treadmill before it gets too light outside.  You should give it a try if you have the opportunity.  It can be quite an experience to run on a treadmill in a dimmed/dark room.


This morning I ran on the treadmill, in the dark for 4 miles.

13 comments:

mommaof3ontherun said...

I'm going to try it dimmed next time. I have such a hard time on the treadmill...maybe that will help.

The Jogger Blogger said...

Maybe I should try that!

Courtney said...

Wow! I've never heard of something like this before, interesting....

Tricia said...

I run almost exclusively in the dark...outside. :)

J said...

I guess it would get some getting used to but would be fun! It must be pretty dark in the winter, but not so bad now with the sun rising earlier.

shellyrm aka jogging stroller mama said...

Sounds like a great experince. I usually have the tv on and lights off so it's not really dark. I'll have to try it your way when the weather forces me on the TM.

akjenniekt said...

Wow- I actually think that that is a great idea :)!!

La Historiadora de Moda said...

I'm intrigued. I am a klutz, so I usually opt for lots of light and I can't read or watch tv on the treadmill. However, a bit of light from the window and the console might be just enough.

Cynthia O'H said...

Running in the dark on a TM would definitely help with your balance and coordination. Cool idea.

ajh said...

I didn't know there was such a thing as a cardio theatre. Is everyone watching the same movie?

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

i love running outside in the dark so I can imagine the treadmill woudl be pretty good too! i too have never heard of a cardio theater and i feel gyped

Badgergirl said...

The treadmill in the dark. Intriguing. Sounds like something I'd love to try, but my gym always has the lights on full blast. Although there is the treadmill in my parents' basement...

Julie said...

I am sure that it will be strange the first time I try this. I would be so scared about doing something stupid and ending up falling and hurting myself:) Maybe after sometime and experience I could become a pro like you!